Car insurance-confusion reigns!

Options
Been reading through all threads can find definitive answer ref. NCB.

OH and I have 2 cars, both always insured with different insurers. OH main driver with me as named on both cars (last 12 yrs), i.e. I have no NCB in my name. I decided to shop around for cheaper insurance (car no. 1) when it came up for renewal and switched to new insurer. Had to send proof of NCB and sent proof by way of car no. 2 policy still in existence. Insurers wrote back saying OH can't insure 2 cars with his 12 yr NCB. I paid in full upfront for the policy.

Is this correct as he's built up NCB with both policies, different insurers (no accident/claims)? Would really appreciate guidance/advice.

Comments

• MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    Options
    dibdab wrote:
    Been reading through all threads can find definitive answer ref. NCB.

OH and I have 2 cars, both always insured with different insurers. OH main driver with me as named on both cars (last 12 yrs), i.e. I have no NCB in my name. I decided to shop around for cheaper insurance (car no. 1) when it came up for renewal and switched to new insurer. Had to send proof of NCB and sent proof by way of car no. 2 policy still in existence. Insurers wrote back saying OH can't insure 2 cars with his 12 yr NCB. I paid in full upfront for the policy.

Is this correct as he's built up NCB with both policies, different insurers (no accident/claims)? Would really appreciate guidance/advice.

They are abosolutely correct.

You have two sets of no claims:

Car 1: x years (You didn't say)
    Car 2: 12 years

Now - you are renewing car 1's policy and it's car 1's policy which the no claims you are trying to use are attached to.

You can't use car 2's no claims because they are in use on it's policy!

So in order to get the no claims - you are going to have to send the proof of no claims for car 1. Your old insurance should have sent that to you when you cancelled.

M.
  • Davidboy
    Davidboy Posts: 922 Forumite
    Options
    Well I have 2 cars and both insured with different insurers, my wife as named driver on both, on one she is classed as main driver. I have many years of NCB on both, I am afraid I earnt the NCB on both and will declare to any insurance company the same.

If I read you right, I am wondering if they are questioning the fact that you have sent proof of NCB of second car when you are insuring first car? Surely you need to send proof of NCB on first car, or am I missing something??

D

EDIT: Sorry M, posted at the same time! This site is so flippen slow at the moment.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • dibdab_4
    Options
    Just to clarify:
    1) so OH can build up 2 sets of NCB?
    2) if I send proof of NCB from No.1 car it shouldn't be a problem? (12 yrs NCB also)

If the answer to yes to both I can stop panicking. Thought I would have to take insurance out for me with zero NCB and lose out on all the savings.

Thanks so much.
  • MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    Options
    dibdab wrote:
    Just to clarify:
    1) so OH can build up 2 sets of NCB?
    2) if I send proof of NCB from No.1 car it shouldn't be a problem? (12 yrs NCB also)

If the answer to yes to both I can stop panicking. Thought I would have to take insurance out for me with zero NCB and lose out on all the savings.

Thanks so much.

Yes you can PROVIDING what you are doing is taking insurance out in HIS name - which is what you're implying.

If you are taking insurance out in your name - you may have difficulty. Most insurers won't take no claims built up as a named driver on other peoples' insurance.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that what you've said in points 1 and 2 are correct. For each seperate insurance you have no claims are built up. So your OH has 2 insurance policies each with 12 years no-claims.

M.
  • dibdab_4
    Options
    So effectively I've been a bit of a blonde airhead (usually so intelligent!) by sending the wrong blooming document. To be honest I didn't think it mattered but obviously it does, it didn't occur to me at all.

Yes the insurance for both cars is and probably always will be in my husband's name.

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport