PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Hi im new(ish!) Need help!!

Options
Hi, im new to posting but have been sneakily reading posts for a while now and am properly hooked! :)

Im sorry if im writing this in the wrong bit but i need some advice!

I came home from work today to find someone had been in my flat! (As far as i can work out, the estate agents that "manage" our flat had let in someone to look at the boiler or something!) The light had been left on all day (who's paying the bill for that then?!) the boiler cupboard was open and a few things moved around.

The did not ask us if they could do this! Am i right in thinking they have to give us 24 hours notice if they want to come round?

I feel horrible knowing someone has been in our flat!

I want to make a complaint but dont know where to go to?
The estate agents are so unprofessional, im worried if we complain to them (nothing would be done anyway!) plus i know they'll try to make things difficult for us (we are trying to move out and im scared they will try to hold back some deposit etc!)

Any advice would be soooo appreciated,
Thank you!!
Vicky!

Comments

• Running_Horse
    Options
    You should be given reasonable notice. A friend found someone carrying out an inspection while he slept, and a letter arrived later that day. Kick up a fuss.
    Been away for a while.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    That's awful - you should probably write to them saying that you don't want them ever doing it again and you'd like them to give you written notice in advance next time they need access.

CC it to the private rented sector support officer (look up on your council's website)

It's completely out of order.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family