PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Dilema! What would you do?

Options
Hi,

I own a shop in the midlands, and it is situated on the main high street of the town. It is not in the best condition, but only needs a bit of cosmetic up-dating. I have just secured planning consent to turn it into a take-away with a self contained flat above.

The property was an investment, and has been empty and on the market (either to rent or puchase) for a year or so, with three sales having fallen through, in all three cases due to the buyer and finance/partnerships.

Similar properties (such as next door) have been rented out for around £8000 per annum and sold for between £150-160K. The purchase price and associated fees of my shop has cost me around £125,000 in total.

I have just received an offer from someone that wants to rent the property for approx. 1.5 years and use it as a take-away. They will fully renovate the property (according to the planning consent) and want to pay £6000 per annum rent. They then want to buy the property after this rental period, but are only willing to pay around £125k for it. Plus they want us to agree to this amount in the contract before they move in as tenant.

I know that they want some sort of security that once the rent period is over that we sell the property to them, but I am not happy at deciding on an amount a year and a half in advance. Any views on this, or should I take the money and run (even though I have made no money, at least I would have the cash)?

The estate agent thinks I shoud take the offer "in these difficult times", but I think that she just wants her commission. The shop has been empty for a long time, but I am unsure.

Thanks and your thoughts would be appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport