We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage Protection - Just lost my job

Options
Hi wonder if I could get some advice maybe regarding my mortgage protection insurance (well, it covers my mortgage and about £200 for bills etc) and now I need to draw on it.

I have the claim forms and am filling them out and getting the necessary paperwork together - I lost my job last Thursday - total shock - no warning - only been there 6 months.

The letter I was given in the "interview" says they were concerned at my performance in some areas of the job and as such are terminating my employment. Paying me weeks notice in lieu and also pay until end of December.

NOW... my question is - will my insurance company say something like "it was your fault you lost your job" so we not paying out?

Help please??

Comments

• Baz_2
    Baz_2 Posts: 729 Forumite
    Options
    Read the Terms and conditions, it will tell you in there. Im sure I have seen some policies say things like gross misconduct wont be paid out etc.
  • Culater_2
    Options
    It was not grioss misconduct I lost my job for!! - I know policies dont pay out in those cases and mine is the same but... did not want to tale the chance.

I could always "alter" the letter I got from my employer saying I was made redundant or something like that so there would be no question over payment of the policy!! WOuld they directly contact my last employer???
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,228 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You could always contact your employer and tell them that you will fight to keep your job unless they phrase the good-bye letter differently.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • matt83uk
    Options
    It depends if you were on probation for 6 months, in which case the insurance probably won't kick in and was probably missold.

With regards to contacting your employer I think there is only limited information they can legally disclose.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It depends if you were on probation for 6 months, in which case the insurance probably won't kick in and was probably missold.

Being dismissed by a company doesnt make the sale of the product a mis-sale. Had the OP gone past the probation period then they would have been covered from day one. Had they waited until after the probation period then they would have another 3-6 months to qualify for cover.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Culater_2
    Options
    No there was no 6 month probation period in the job. It was three months (as industry standard) and all seemed fine.

Was a high paid, real high pressure job and I beathe a sign of relief now Im out of there but the money will be a miss!!

So would you say I submit their original letter saying that they had to let me go due to concerns over performance, do I "Fudge" a new letter saying redundancy or what would you suggest?
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    1) Check the small print on the policy.

2) If necessary, recontact your employer to ask them nicely to change the letter. They don't need to give much of a reason to drop you within the first year, so gentler wording shouldn't give them too much of a headache.

3) Do not forge/fudge anything. You could potentially end up in prison.

There will be an exclusion period that will probably mean you won't actually receive anything from the policy until February. Yuo've been paid up to the end of the year and there's probably a 30 day exclusion period - so budget carefully around what that policy small print says.
  • Culater_2
    Options
    The exclusion period is 30 days - back to day one
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,228 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I would ring them up and tell them you need a softer worded letter, "present economic climate", "have to let people go" etc or something similar.

Tell them that, under the terms of your income protection policy you would have no option but to fight to keep your job if the letter wasn't worded that way. Even though you probably have been in the job to short a time to have any rights, personel will not want resources taken up by proving this to you.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    I would ring them up and tell them you need a softer worded letter, "present economic climate", "have to let people go" etc or something similar.

Tell them that, under the terms of your income protection policy you would have no option but to fight to keep your job if the letter wasn't worded that way. Even though you probably have been in the job to short a time to have any rights, personel will not want resources taken up by proving this to you.

There is no harm in asking, but don't be surprised if you get a polite 'no', as they would not wish to set a precedent. You have no rights (except for the internal appeal process), and therefore the HR Team will not be bothered if you intend to take the matter further. It is not up to them to tell you that you don't have a case, it would be up to you to do this. No bother to them!
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport