PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Rest of Rent due after tenancy termination

Options
Hi all,

I've terminated my tenancy agreement by mutual consent, check-out done , deductions have been agreed and received notice from the deposit protection scheme that the deposit is in my account.
The problem is that I vacated the property before completing the whole month which the monthly rent was taken from my account & now there is an amount should be paid back to me.
what happened is that I contacted the letting agency to sort it out but the reply was that I can't get my money before one month from my vacation date...!!!
So I need clarification on that & what should I do if the letting agent insisting not to give me my money back shortly & what is the reasonable period for getting my money back.

Thanks

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It depends on the terms of your mutual agreement to terminate the tenancy early.

If you are sure you are entitled to the money, then if the LA fails to give it back then you need to start a claim

http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • tomy_2
    Options
    I am sure that I am entitled to the money (as per a written letter from LA) but the problem is that they will return it back after 1 month from the date which the property became vacant & it is now no longer vacant as a new tenant started the day after my moving.

My understanding is that I am legally entitled to get my money back as soon as the property become vacant, am I right? and If not what is the reasonable period for getting my money back before making any claims?
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have to be realistic here, if they are saying that the money will be returned in 1 mth and you belive it will (you got the deposit back) I would just wait. By the time you have started procedings the mth will be up anyway and all you will do is get there backs up. I think they have been very resonable letting you terminate early.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tomy wrote: »
    I am sure that I am entitled to the money (as per a written letter from LA) but the problem is that they will return it back after 1 month from the date which the property became vacant & it is now no longer vacant as a new tenant started the day after my moving.

My understanding is that I am legally entitled to get my money back as soon as the property become vacant, am I right? and If not what is the reasonable period for getting my money back before making any claims?

1 month, as per your mutual agreement
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • tomy_2
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    1 month, as per your mutual agreement

No, there is nothing in the agreement stated one month,it just stated that the amount due will be paid along with the deposit but the fact is that the deposit already paid back to me & the amount due will be paid back after the landlord recieve the rent from the new tenant (it sounds odd..!!), then I tried to expedite the LA to get this money as per their letter (along with the deposit) but they told me that the normal time to get the deposit back is up to 48 days (sounds odd too..!!) & the fact that I had my deposit back earlier doesn't gurantee that I will get the amount due at the same time..!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport