£25K to invest for school fees

Options
Hi, I have just remortgaged to raise £25K for my son's school fees.
I now have a cheque waiting to be housed in the best rate account I can find. My criteria obviously has to be that I need to make 3 withdrawals per year (£2345/withdrawal).
Anyone know of the best account in which to house this money that will give me a good rate of return please?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Investing wouldnt be a good idea. Picking a savings account would be better. Although you could split it and put some of the later years money into ISA/Unit Trust/OEIC depending on your risk profile.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • tidyfinance
    Options
    Savings account will probably be the way I go.
    I've been trawling the internet with Cahoot looking good, but would it be wise to go for an initial 'good' % rate that drops after 6 months, and then a further drop after another 6 months? I have no qualms about moving the money around after time, just really need to get maximum interest from it.
    One thing is for sure, this cheque is doing no good stuck in a drawer!!
    Anyone out there gone through a similar exercise?
    Thanks for the reply.
  • tidyfinance
    Options
    I reckon I'll put £3K into an ISA now, and put 3 more before next April.
    Keep doing £3k per year with the main balance in a high interest savings account that allows me access.
    Does this sound sensible to you?
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fill your £3K mini cash ISA allowance each year. One now, one in April. Actually, I don't know whether you can take out two mini cash ISAs per year. Someone will no doubt correct me in a minute.

After that you have 5%ish instant access accounts. You could also get moving £250 per month into an A&L reg savers account (10% gross, 7.5% effective over the year if moving from a 5% account).
    Happy chappy
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Remember school fees increase at a rate of about 8% a year.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    8% pa, can't do that forever though.
    Happy chappy
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    My fees have gone from £4000+ in 2002/3 to just over £6000 per term in years 2005/6. For one child.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • babesandbrats
    Options
    Rikki wrote:
    My fees have gone from £4000+ in 2002/3 to just over £6000 per term in years 2005/6. For one child.

Per term? That seems an awful lot - do you mean per year?
    Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.
  • tidyfinance
    Options
    tomstickland,
    what do you mean by 10% gross, 7.5% effective over the year if moving from a 5% account?
    This is just the advice I'm looking for. Many thanks everyone for this info. I wan't to try to get this finance right, so comments are really helpfull.

Happy New Year everyone _party_
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    what do you mean by 10% gross, 7.5% effective over the year if moving from a 5% account?
    The 'average' balance in the 10% regular saver account is half the terminal balance so the interest can be approximated to 5% of the terminal balance.

The money set aside in the 'feeder' account earns 5% whilst it's waiting to be transferred, so the average balance here throughout the year is half the total amount fed into the regular saver account - so this sum pays an average of 2.5%.

2.5% + 5% = 7.5%

Broadly speaking, if you transfer £100/month (£1,200/year) from a 5% paying account to a 10% regular saver account (with the same provider), the overall interest earned will be £1,200 x 7.5% = £90 gross.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure