PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Solicitors Fees

Options
Evening All,

We are currently in the process of buying a property. There is no stamp duty on it but in our solicitors fees there is an SDLT administration fee of £50.00 and a SDLT online submission fee of £7.05.

Does anyone know if these fees should be charged as there is no stamp duty?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Becky :)

Comments

• Incisor
    Incisor Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Think of it this way: You DO pay stamp duty on ALL property transactions, but in your case, the rate is 0%. Hence the fees. Anyone who knows different, please shout up, but AFAICS, the solicitor has to do all of the same administration, regardless of the rate charged.
    After the uprising of the 17th June The Secretary of the Writers Union
    Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee Stating that the people
    Had forfeited the confidence of the government And could win it back only
    By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier In that case for the government
    To dissolve the people
    And elect another?
  • hostman
    hostman Posts: 377 Forumite
    Options
    Incisor wrote: »
    Think of it this way: You DO pay stamp duty on ALL property transactions, but in your case, the rate is 0%. Hence the fees. Anyone who knows different, please shout up, but AFAICS, the solicitor has to do all of the same administration, regardless of the rate charged.

Our stamp duty rate is 0% with nothing due, house under £125k (offered accepted before Government reduced the threshold), but we've still needed to sign forms relating to stamp duty.
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless the transaction is for under £40,000 then the forms either paper or online still need to be completed an submitted or you can't proceed to register at HMLR.

I'm the person who does them at the firm I work for!
  • Richard_Webster
    Options
    The situation is that even if there is no SDLT actually payable if the price is over £40K you still have to have the form completed and signed or if the submission to HMRC is on line at least the solicitor has to get a consent to submit form signed by the client. There is more work in filling in these forms so some extra charge is justified.

Personally I think it is preferable to include the work in the overall charge, which is then slightly more than it would have been in the days of Stamp Duty (when the equivalent form was a lot simpler). I think it is confusing to have the extra SDLT completion charge as a separate one because not everybody looks at the small print and it then becomes a surprise later for some.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport