PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Renewing our tenancy but not sure what this means...

Options
We have three options. The first is to renew for another six months. The third is NOT to renew and to leave. The second is this:

"We confirm we wish to renew as stated in Section 1 with a month tenant break clause. We understand and accept the charge of £117.50 (for a 6 months fixed term) and authorise you to collect payment as follows."

Where it says 'section 1' it refers to our first option of renewing for 6 months but what does the rest of it mean?

I'd really appreciate some help.

Many thanks.
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member No.11.

"When the storm is raging round you, stay right where you are."
Queen, 'Don't try so hard'

Comments

• Gorgeous_George
    Options
    I think you might be asked to post more detail. However, it sounds like option 2 is a 6 month tenancy where you can choose to leave at one month's notice.

It seems Option 2 attracts a fee of £117.50 and the other options (1 and 3) are free. Your LL could just let the tenancy go 'periodic' but that wouldn't attract the £117.50 fee.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am making this up and inventing it, but it sounds to me like they're hell bent on getting money out of you and they're proposing it goes onto a periodic tenancy, where you can give 1 month's notice and the landlord would have to give you 2 months' notice. But they don't get their money that way.

So instead, they've come up with a nifty 6-month AST that gives you a one month break clause which might turn out to be a month's notice at any time for you if you want to leave. So they can stick you for the charge of doing the paperwork.

What do you WANT to do?

If you want it to go to a normal periodic tenancy then you could tell them to stick it. No charge. And just stay on without paying them any renewal fees.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Renewal fees are bad.
    You don't need to renew - just go periodic.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    If the LL wants the fees he or she can insist on one of the three options.

Option 1 means you leave (no fee).

Option 2 means you get a 6 month AST but can leave at 1 month's notice just like a periodic tenancy. HOWEVER, your LL cannot serve notice for you to leave before the 6 months are completed. In this respect, option 2 is different to a periodic tenancy.

Option 3 gives you a 6 months AST (no fee).

I think your LL has complicated things too much. Options 1 and 3 would have sufficed.

Option 2 is not unreasonable but I would only ofer this if asked.

I'll be offering my tenant a choice of 6, 12 and 24 months tenancies from next April.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pigeongirl wrote: »
    We have three options. The first is to renew for another six months. The third is NOT to renew and to leave. The second is this:

"We confirm we wish to renew as stated in Section 1 with a month tenant break clause. We understand and accept the charge of £117.50 (for a 6 months fixed term) and authorise you to collect payment as follows."

Where it says 'section 1' it refers to our first option of renewing for 6 months but what does the rest of it mean?

I'd really appreciate some help.

Many thanks.
    Option 4 ;)

Do nothing! They can't evict you without providing the legally required notice.

By doing nothing, you save the £117.50 fees
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport