In car sat-nav units

jem16
jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
I thought I might get one of these units but don't want to spend too much on them just now.

Halfords are doing some in their sale and I've seen one in the Makro mail for January. Halfords are doing the Mio 268 and the Makro one is Roadcom.

Has anyone used these or indeed any other that they might recommend?

Comments

• windym_2
    windym_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Mine is Garmin Quest which is very good. Waterproof and fully portable. When we went to France in the summer it was invaluable. We found our way to the Dordogne without even looking at a map. En route it gave us petrol stations etc. When we went out on foot we could use it to navigate to points of interest. I love it, but rarely use it on a day to day basis. Very good if you get stuck in a traffic jam and you don't know an alternative route though. The maps are uptodate, in fact I had a new updated Cd through from them about 2 months ago.
  • siva
    siva Posts: 98 Forumite
    I bought Garmin i3 yesterday and so far very pleased with it. It is much smaller than others but pleasure to use. It is very cheap (bought mine from Halfords for £129.99 with price match). My only concern is that it needs AA batteries and doesnt have a built in charger but cant expect much for this price (it comes with cigarette light charger for in car use)

Siva
  • tigermatt
    tigermatt Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have a look at http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/ for some great deals on all-in-one units. Personally, I like the TomTom Go's because I am used to using the TomTom software on PDAs. tigermatt :)
  • star1_2
    star1_2 Posts: 424 Forumite
    I'm a fan of the Mio's both the 168 and 201's are good. They are both rather popular and re-branded by various other companies (which is a testiment to how good they are). Check out https://www.goaudio.co.uk for the best deals I've found on these units (they also do various other models).

Hope that helps.

:idea:
  • jem16
    Thanks everybody. I've found a lot of useful info from the links you gave me so I'll have a look before deciding.
  • ;)
    siva wrote:
    I bought Garmin i3 yesterday and so far very pleased with it. It is much smaller than others but pleasure to use. It is very cheap (bought mine from Halfords for £129.99 with price match). My only concern is that it needs AA batteries and doesnt have a built in charger but cant expect much for this price (it comes with cigarette light charger for in car use)

Siva

I agree with Siva's comment's; I also bought the Garmin i3 for £129 from Staples yesterday... it was easy to set up and download the lastest list of POI's (Points of Interest) i.e. speed camera's etc. The Garmin helped me out of a hugh traffic jam by re-routing me down some back roads :j , whilst transporting a screaming toddler, WORTH EVERY PENNEY!!
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I like navigating with maps, so I'm of no use to you, sorry!
    Happy chappy
  • jem16
    Was that a Staples store or online?
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • siva
    siva Posts: 98 Forumite
    jem16 wrote:
    Was that a Staples store or online?

The Staples offer was for 2 days instore only (26th and 27th).

Siva
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport