Fiat Stilo spring replacement ?

Options
Dick_here
Dick_here Posts: 1,605 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Recently I've had a bit of a clang when going over speed humps, yesterday there was a loud bang when going over a pothole. Today, the sound of metal hitting road as something fell off. It looks like a bit of a front spring has sheared off, judging by the shape of what I picked up off the road - a semi-circular type lump. I'm no car expert, so :

1) Is that what it is, if not what else could it be ?

2) Is it still safe to drive or not ?

3) Any idea of replacement costs, is it a simple job for any garage ?

Thanks guys !
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• edde
    edde Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    It will be the spring they do fail

I'd personaly try not drive if so drive carefully but loads of people drive round with broken ones unknowwing,

Easy enough to change though. A copy cat part is only cheap though and fitment is quick enough say 1 hour labour max for one side,
  • Dick_here
    Options
    Thanks, fingers crossed you're right ! I won't bother going to the Fiat main dealer then, that's a relief :)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't drive it, have it recovered to a local garage.
  • Dick_here
    Options
    Keith wrote: »
    I wouldn't drive it, have it recovered to a local garage.

Care to explain why, is it actually dangerous ?
  • Keith
    Options
    My unproffessional opinion the damaged spring could cause damage to the tyre by fouling the wheel, the spring is also compressed into the gap between the top mount and bottom bit of the strut so you'll be driving around with 2 different size springs one compressed the other uncompressed in the gap.

For safety get it collected and repaired, a spring should be quite cheap, and the labour won't amount to much. I'm not qualified as a mechanic but I can swap a spring on my car in 2 hours without air tools :)
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,026 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There was a recall for these springs on the Stilo (and several other Fiats) - they were not replaced but a plate was fitted so that they don't puncture the tyre when they go. Check yours has been modified when you have the spring replaced. Odds are you will need both done as otherwise the second one will go when paired with a new one.
    I think....
  • Dick_here
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    There was a recall for these springs on the Stilo (and several other Fiats) - they were not replaced but a plate was fitted so that they don't puncture the tyre when they go. Check yours has been modified when you have the spring replaced. Odds are you will need both done as otherwise the second one will go when paired with a new one.

Yes, I read about that. I rang the main dealer, mine had been recalled and modified (allegedly). It's the road spring, as the bloke at Kwik Fit called it, not the 'normal' one. I'm booked in there tomorrow anyway - getting both done for £155.
  • Keith
    Options
    Oh, you've chosen one of the better garages...

Place your bets,

4/1 the worn spring has caused damage to the shocks
    2/1 your brake discs need replacing
    Evens your pads need changing
  • goldspanners
    Options
    Keith wrote: »
    Oh, you've chosen one of the better garages...

Place your bets,

4/1 the worn spring has caused damage to the shocks
    2/1 your brake discs need replacing
    Evens your pads need changing

count me in for a tenner on the leaking shockers.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    !!!!!! here / Kwik Fit, should we draw our own conclusions?;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure