OH is after small 5dr auto..

Options
Hi,

I've gone square-eyed from the endless searching on autotrader.
SWMBO is after a newish small 5dr (full) auto for around £5k. She quite likes the new corsa and yaris, but these don't appear to go for anything under £6k.

Was wondering if these sell much cheaper at auction? anyone know what they fetch at auction? Is there a site that tells you what cars fetch at auction?

Comments

• jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Plenty of the older shape 2-3 yr old Yaris' for less than 5k.
    One or two new shaped auto corsas for about £5.5k - £6k
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The Citroen C1/Peugeot 107/Toyota Aygo is an excellent car - I had a 5-door C1 with aircon, which cost me about £7K, but I think they can be got for less now, particularly if you went for a "nearly new" model.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does it have to be auto? Small and auto don't normally sit that well in the same sentence and could be the main reason you are struggling. With petriol prices and road tax rates there is much greater demand for small cars.

I'm sure you will get what you want if you are patient but if in a rush you might need to up your budget a bit.
  • swift1_2
    Options
    The C1/107/Aygo might be a possibility - as I understand these are all basically the same car but with different coats so to speak.

Yes, I'm afraid it does have to be an auto and small - she finds a manual too much effort for driving around town constantly changing gears as she has a pain problem in her left leg.

She wants a new shape - she initially was looking at the new peugeot 208 or Mazda 2 - which have only just come out and still are quite highly priced - once I told her the prices she quickly changed her mind!

was wondering if I hold off till January - an 06 plate which is now regarded as 2 yr old will be regarded as a 3yr old - hence drop in price?:confused: hopefully!

The other possibilities that I was looking at are the astra or mazda 3 - slightly bigger cars, but the prices of astras seem to have fallen off a cliff for some reason. However, been told to stay away from the easytronic, but the full auto starts at 1.8 which is way too big an engine. I'll show her the aygo and see where we go!
  • Hintza
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you can wait I think it might be the wise thing to do, prices certainly aren't going up and most probably once Christmas is out the way folk will really rein in the spending.

Another one to consider is the Fiat Panda lots of fun to drive and you might almost get a pre-reg for your sort of money. Although Fiat still has a bad name with some, small cars is what they do best OH and daughter both have one and both love them to bits.

http://www.fiatsupasaver.com/SelectACar.aspx?vId=3
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    swift1 wrote: »
    The C1/107/Aygo might be a possibility - as I understand these are all basically the same car but with different coats so to speak.
    That's true. The C1 and 107 are virtually identical, but the Aygo has a slightly better finish, and is a bit more expensive as a result. I have no idea if they do an automatic version, but it's worth checking out. Which one you went for would depend on which dealer was the closest to you - useful to have a close dealer if you want them to do the servicing as well. Also note that the road tax is either free or very low (I was paying £35 a year, but I think that's dropped since the recent legislation changes), and you should get about 55-65 mpg out of it driving around town - and considerably higher on a long traffic free run.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Aygo is an automated manual and is an acquired taste. Make sure you test drive it first before buying as some people can't get the hang of it.

If you want a cheap, value for money 5 door auto then go for a Nissan Micra. My dad has a 1.4 SE Auto which he bought a year ago for £6995. The 1.2 engine has issues with the timing chain/belt.
    The man without a signature.
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    Oh to play a game of football with cars... :rolleyes: :D
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    Another one to consider is the Fiat Panda

Are you sure there's an auto version of the Panda?
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • Hintza
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    iolanthe07 wrote: »
    Another one to consider is the Fiat Panda

Are you sure there's an auto version of the Panda?

I wondered the same, so I checked :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport