🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Visa debit refund time (TSB basic account - PC World/Dixons Group)

Options
Hey everyone. Signed up to ask what is probably a stupid question.

I have a VISA debit card, attached to a Lloyds TSB basic account. I just in the last hour made a return to PC world, and they've put through the £220 refund. When should I expect to see this in my account?

Comments

• sutton111
    sutton111 Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    3 - 5 working days sometimes sooner.
  • ShelfStacker_3
    Options
    Yeah, basically as long as you'd expect a transaction leaving your account to appear on your statement.
  • gwon
    gwon Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that.

Out of interest....why can the transaction be processed so much quicker the other way round? I feel that someone must be making money (interest?) somewhere for keeping hold of my money for a few days (be it the bank or PC World). I may be totally wrong, it just seems obscene that it's INSTANT when they're taking your money, but THREE DAYS when you're getting it back.
  • gwon
    Options
    Also (sorry for the double post), I'm looking at a receipt I have from a co-op, and the online statement to see how long transactions take.

I have a receipt for the 9th (Sunday) which is on my statement for the 11th (Tuesday). So how long did that actually take? Can I assume that Sunday is ignored with it being Sunday? And so the transaction is made properly on Monday, and it appeared on my statement the next day?

So with my maths working overdrive here, a refund put through at 5.50 tonight, should appear tomorrow? Or the next day? Or the next day?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being picky, but I'm going to be in a different city all week next week, and the time this money arrives makes all the difference to my plans.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    It could take up to a week.

Also depends a lot on who operates DSG's card processing - it could be sooner, but might not be.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • ShelfStacker_3
    Options
    gwon wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Out of interest....why can the transaction be processed so much quicker the other way round? I feel that someone must be making money (interest?) somewhere for keeping hold of my money for a few days (be it the bank or PC World). I may be totally wrong, it just seems obscene that it's INSTANT when they're taking your money, but THREE DAYS when you're getting it back.

You're not debited quicker, the amount is just held aside so you don't try and spend it. You still earn interest on the money, and it only properly leaves the account once the transaction appears on the statement. Although I'm not sure how PC World making a few pence in interest off a transaction which they have to pay for is obscene, anyway...
  • gwon
    Options
    It wasn't them making interest that's obscene, it was more my viewpoint that when you pay them it's instant, but when they pay you it takes days and days. Just typical consumer land, the little guy always gets !!!!ed.

But from the way you've explained it, that's not the case at all, so no probs.

I was more interested than anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family