Cash/Sell an Endowment?

Hi, New User here, 1st ever post, please be gentle. Been using the site over the last week and got me checking my finances, here goes....

I am thinking about cashing in or selling my endowment? Am I mad?

I had a part Interest Only & part Repayment mortgage but switched to a Full Repayment 2 years ago. My annual reviews showed it highly likely that I was going to have a shortfall on my endowment so I didn't want to take the risk and I also wanted to pay my mortage off earlier than the 25 years.

I've made some over payments on my repayment mortgage recently and have only 10 years to run. :)

My endowment has been going only just over 7 years and is basically now just a savings plan. I have been paying in £55 a month and its current value is about £5500.

What my thinking is now, is as the Endowment is not critical to my mortgage, would I be better to cash or sell this and use the money to pay off some more of my mortgate? By paying off £5500 would reduce my monthly premium by about £65, plus the £55 a month I currently pay into my endowment would make a monthly saving of £120!! :o

Sounds excellent to me, or am I missing something here? What about these final bonuses they talk about, also all the paperwork that goes with my Endowment says never cash in or sell? ???

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds excellent to me, or am I missing something here?

If you are a higher rate tax payer or close to being one, surrendering the endowment at this stage would leave you with a tax liability.
    What about these final bonuses they talk about,

Many companies accrue a terminal bonus as you go along but only pay it on maturity. By surrendering, you lose that terminal bonus in part or full.
    also all the paperwork that goes with my Endowment says never cash in or sell

They would leave themselves open to a fine from the FSA were they to say different.

A basic cost analysis needs to be done to see whether it is worthwhile. ie how much are you going to pay between now and maturity, what is the projection, what will you save over the term of the mortgage by paying a chunk of that off, what is the target growth rate of the endowment? what is the cost of replacement life cover?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News