We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Career coaching at £90 per hour, is this good value?

Options
2»

Comments

• cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Options
    If it changes your life for the better it's worth it. However! That is a huge sum and unless someone came along who was incredibly well recommended, with a track record they could prove, then I'd be very very very sceptical.

I'm a bit cynical about career coaches. As an ex recruiter, I've helped a good few people with CVs and applications but at the end of the day, it's the person who gets the job, not me. (bit like stopping smoking, a counsellor, hypnotist, doctor can help, but it's only the smoker who can stop). As a recruiter and HR Manager and Director I've interviewed and seen CVs from customers of Career counsellors - spend the money on a couple of self help books, a suit that makes you feel good, and nice shoes and a suit. Take a holiday with the rest!

See some evidence before you shell out. (Quick and dirty calculation, £90 per hour = £180k per year - how good is she?!)
  • SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Options
    The company I own and run will do it for less than half of that. The rate also includes help with doing CVs, application forms,lift to and from the interview and 6/12 months updates and help.

Bozo
  • briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    I know it sounds a lot but I need some help with my career direction

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Err... it's probably good value if you're the career coach! Roll on the day I can charge £90ph! :D

What do you hope to get out of career coaching that you don't feel you could discover for yourself?
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • p1an0player
    Options
    briona wrote: »
    What do you hope to get out of career coaching that you don't feel you could discover for yourself?
    I'm not sure... but I've been drifting for too long

Maybe I should try some of the careers help books from the library first and see if that helps ...

Thanks for all your answers
  • p1an0player
    Options
    What do career coaches do exactly? Surely you know yourself better and what you want to do with your life more than a stranger?
    I suppose the idea is that the career coach helps to guide you towards discovering yourself, rather than them telling you what to do
  • p1an0player
    Options
    cazziebo wrote: »
    I'm a bit cynical about career coaches. As an ex recruiter, I've helped a good few people with CVs and applications but at the end of the day, it's the person who gets the job, not me. (bit like stopping smoking, a counsellor, hypnotist, doctor can help, but it's only the smoker who can stop). As a recruiter and HR Manager and Director I've interviewed and seen CVs from customers of Career counsellors - spend the money on a couple of self help books, a suit that makes you feel good, and nice shoes and a suit. Take a holiday with the rest!
    Thanks for this. Any suggestions for self help books? I've seen an American one called "how good is your Parachute" which seems very popular in bookshops
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,460 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Undertaker? :rotfl:

Nah not quite, but related in a way :rotfl:

Am in Medical Informatics.
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this. Any suggestions for self help books? I've seen an American one called "how good is your Parachute" which seems very popular in bookshops

Brilliant book is by Martin John Yate and it's called Great Answers to Tough Interview Questions. It's not just about interviews, covers the whole recruitment and selection process - from sourcing opportunities to negotiating a better offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport