Problem with fuel sensor card..is it going to get worse?

Options
maniac886
maniac886 Posts: 3,599 Forumite
Hi Guys,

I have a Ford Focus 02Reg 1.6 LX with 47K on the clock and I have recently started to notice that as soon as i fill my tank and restart the engine the petrol gauge goes to empty and flashes red indicating that I need to topup.

I had a word with my local indie and he reckons that its the fuel sensor card that needs replacing and thats gonna be around £150 inc parts and labour to replace . He told me I also need to make sure there is very little fuel left in the tank as it will have to be drained.

He says the way to temporarily fix it is not to fill the tank up right to the top and will allow the gauge to function correctly.

My question is...I'd rather wait to do get this fixed in Feb when my service is due but will it get to the point where the fuel gauge will not work at all?

Has anyone else come across this issue at all?

"He's a maniac, maniac that's for sure,
He will kill your cat and nail him to the door" :eek:
Murphys No More Pies Club Member #95

Comments

• maniac886
    maniac886 Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    bump.........
    "He's a maniac, maniac that's for sure,
    He will kill your cat and nail him to the door" :eek:
    Murphys No More Pies Club Member #95
  • goldspanners
    Options
    try googling it,ive not heard of it... yet!
    ...work permit granted!
  • Thunderbird_2
    Options
    Hi,

I have got a Ford Puma which have done this 2 times in the past 18 months. Usually after filling it to the brim. The first time, it happened intermitantly for about half an hour. The second time happened once for 10 minutes or so.

I stopped filling it to the brim. Instead, I stop at the first click and no problems since. My car is roughly the same age as yours, so, could it be a Ford thing from that production time?! I don't know!

Good luck
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure