PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking A Gammon Joint in the Slow Cooker

Options

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

It will be fine... you can boil them with it on -so it won't have any effect
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • boredjellybean
    Options
    thank you - hey ho at least it'll be one of those things i only do once (well lets hope so lol) it's my first attempt at doing a gammon:D
    I presume the stock will be ok to use for soup etc still ?
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    It'll just keep the gammon in a nice round shape - I've done it more than once!

Your stock will be fine. At least - I'm still here!
  • Lyndach
    Lyndach Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always leave mine on till I go to serve it, do idea why but it's not hurt anyone yet lol and yeah the stock will still be ok to use.
    GC July: £0/£120
  • boredjellybean
    Options
    thanks again :) i hadn't even noticed it was on there :rotfl:

does anyone know how long it should cook for? (i did ask in the gammon/slow cooker thread but haven't had a reply yet
  • LE3
    LE3 Posts: 612 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    assuming you mean the thin band that wraps round the meat, rather than the complete vacuum packaging then it will be 100% fine. You are actually MEANT to leave the band on as it keeps the meat together & makes sure it doesn't break up during cooking.
    Honestly, believe the people here, it will be FINE!!!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    It is fine it just to keep the meat in one piece
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there

I am just after a bit of advise/reassurance really, I've just read through this thread & am a bit confused as to how long I should cook my gammon for?

I have a 1.2kg piecee of gammon which I soaked overnight (well I was going to put it in the SC before bed then forgot :rotfl: ) so I have now bunged in the SC with a chopped up onion & small bottle of full fat coke

I really wanted to clarify how long to cook it for (but I know this is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question) I have put it on low so was going to leave it for 5-6hrs, does that seem right? should it be on high for less??? I want to be able to slice it ideally & use for cold meat

Many thanks in advance

On low i`d probably leave it a bit longer but then i like it so that it falls to bits. When its getting to the end of the cooking time poke it with a fork right in the middle and see if its done enough to your tastes.

Before slicing it up make sure that its cooled and then refridgerate overnight - i find that doing this makes slicing much easier.

HTH

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    i have done this more than once. didn't notice the first time i did it., till i was gonna serve it and wondered what on earth it was,lol.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As others have said, cooking gammon in its sleeve is fine; it's there to keep the meat in sahpe :) As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add it to the existing thread on gammon in the SC.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport