🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Trying to transfer a balance into current account

Options
Hi

Tried to use 0% Halifax card to transfer a balance to a current account (transaction charge of 3%). They wouldn't transfer to a current a/c but suggested I made a c/c payment into current a/c (Nationwide). Would NW hit me with a fee for doing this? Could I open a different c/c which would do the balance transfer?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you want to use the Halifax card you'll need an Egg Money card, or choose another card/method...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/stooze-cash-credit-cards
  • NickX
    NickX Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    Only a few rather special cards allow transfers into your Bank Account and unfortunately Halifax is not one of them.

This facility, commonly refered to as Super Balance Transfer (SBT) is available with Egg Card, Post Office Card, and cards run by MBNA (including the Virgin range, Alliance & Leicester, Sony, MBNA itself).

Egg Money can be used in conjunction with another 0% card as a mule to move the funds into you Bank Account.

In addition MINT periodically issue Credit Card Cheques that can be paid into a Bank Account at balance transfer rates. However this is not necessarily a satisfactory option because the cheques cannot be requested so, unless they are already in your possession, you don't know when they are going to drop through your letterbox.

Likewise Capital One issue Credit Card Cheques and some are known to attract balance transfer rates, but extra care should be taken because they also issue cheques at purchase rates or even cash advance rates (not adviseable unless you have money to burn).
  • northender
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Yorkshireboy and NickX thanks for pointing that out. I actually have an egg card I haven't used for ages, that makes perfect sense. Thank you so much!:beer:
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    northender wrote: »
    I actually have an egg card I haven't used for ages...
    Egg Card (Visa) or Egg Money card (Mastercard)?

If the former, be very careful because you could incur two lots of 3% BT fees.
  • northender
    Options
    It is an egg visa but I spoke to them and they said it would be charged at my normal variable rate but no fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport