PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Selling house

Options
My house has been on the market for some time the agent asked me to reduce the selling price by over £10000 on a £137000 terraced house, my contract says after 8 weeks, at any time I give a two weeks written notice I can end the selling agreement and remove it from sale with no cost to me for the work already carried out like- notice board and advertising cost. Can anyone tell me how this letter should be worded?
I want to put it back on the market when prices have improved in about 12 to 18 months I understand I will at that time have to pay for a new H.I.P
Help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Incisor
    Incisor Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bluebelt wrote: »
    My house has been on the market for some time the agent asked me to reduce the selling price by over £10000 on a £137000 terraced house, my contract says after 8 weeks, at any time I give a two weeks written notice I can end the selling agreement and remove it from sale with no cost to me for the work already carried out like- notice board and advertising cost. Can anyone tell me how this letter should be worded?
    "I hereby give 2 weeks written notice to end the selling agreement".
    I want to put it back on the market when prices have improved in about 12 to 18 months I understand I will at that time have to pay for a new H.I.P
    when -> IF
    I doubt that prices will increase on your timescale.
    After the uprising of the 17th June The Secretary of the Writers Union
    Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee Stating that the people
    Had forfeited the confidence of the government And could win it back only
    By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier In that case for the government
    To dissolve the people
    And elect another?
  • neverdespairgirl
    Options

I don't think you can assume that the price will be higher in 12 - 18 months. It may be, of course, but my bet is that, as we are now entering a recession, prices will be a lot lower.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • Gangstabird
    Gangstabird Posts: 1,920 Forumite
    Options
    I would word it like this.

Thank you for attempting to sell my house. As it is clearly not selling and we are at the end of my agreement dated xx/xx/xxxx, I would ask you to remove it from the market in 14 days.

Thank you for your time and consideration in the above matter.

Kevin.xxxxx

(I wouldn't really put kisses but you know what I mean)
  • bluebelt
    Options
    Thank you all for your time and help, and I do believe things look set to get worse as you all say. regards Jim
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And you need a new HIP.
  • sarkin
    sarkin Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    Can I ask why you are selling?
  • bluebelt
    Options
    To downsize to a one bedroom rented place.
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem is when house prices "improve", they will start improving from a much lower point that now. So after a year or more of improvement, your house may still not be worth what you want it to be + there's no accounting for long term stabilization at a lower value if lending regulations are tightened.
  • bluebelt
    Options
    Yes I take your point. We have had a few Estate agents closed down in the last few months and I think things are going to get worse so I will sit tight and "Batten down the hatches"
  • brit1234
    brit1234 Posts: 5,385 Forumite
    Options
    I want to put it back on the market when prices have improved in about 12 to 18 months

Sorry to be the deliverer of bad news but house prices may not recover in the next decade and likely to fall a lot further. Nationwide said now prices were likely to continue falling well into 2010 (your 18 month period).

This 1.5% cut in interest rates won't have any effect on house prices, history has taught us that both here and in the US.

If you intend to sell in 18 months your have to drop the price a lot lower. Most likely 50% from peak as house prices return to normal levels after the bubble.
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family