VISA/Mastercard telephone scam

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
11 replies 2K views
BeckipegBeckipeg Forumite
138 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
VISA/MASTERCARD SCAM

Just been warned about this via Hertfordshire Probation Service (DH works there), and could potentially be financially fatal so close to Christmas.

Visa and MasterCard Scam.

It works like this:
Person calling says, 'this is Carl Patterson (any name) and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Company a device/any expensive item, for £497.99 from a marketing company based in (any town?)

When you say 'No'. The caller continues with, 'Then we will be issuing a credit to your Account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 To £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (they give you your address), is that correct?'

You say, 'Yes'. The caller continues . 'I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on your card and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control number. They then give you a 6-digit number. 'Do you need me to read it again?

Caller then says he 'needs to verify you are in possession of your card' (this is where the scam takes place as up until now they have requested nothing!). They then ask you to turn your card over. There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are 1234 (or whatever, as they have your number anyway). The next 3 are the security numbers that verify that you are in possession of the card' (these are the numbers they are really after as
these are the numbers you use to make internet purchases to prove you have the card).

'Read me the 3 numbers.' When you do he says 'That is correct. I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions? Don't hesitate to call back if you do.'

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. But after one couple were called on Wednesday, they telephoned back within 20 minutes to ask a question. The REAL VISA security department said it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of £497.99 WAS put on their card.

What the scam wants is the 3-digit number and that once the charge goes through, they keep changing every few days. By the time you get your statement, you think the credit is coming, and then it's harder to actually file a fraud report.

THE REAL VISA/MASTERCARD DEPARTMENT REINFORCED THE POINT THAT THEY WILL NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING ABOUT THE CARD SINCE THEY ALREADY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!.
Beckipeg :)

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a load of old tosh.

How does the fraudster have your phone number?

Why does the fraudster not just bribe the mimimum wage employee in the next place to use your card to give them the card number, the expiry date, the valid from date, and the CVV that is printed on the signature strip that they have too look at.
  • I don't know whether this particular warning is a hoax or not, but I wouldn't be so quick to call it tosh, as it is very, very, very easy for someone to get these kind of details. It has all the hallmarks of phishing.

Scammers do not even have to hack a pc, as online users willingly divulge this information every second of the day.

Let me give you a few examples
    • signing up for a website
    • purchasing online
    • completing a survey
    • getting a freebie
    • signing up for an email address
    Reputable sites will have either have optional fields so certain details like phone numbers, addresses etc may be left blank, or if these details are mandatory, the site will state their intention of use in the T&Cs and/or Data Protection Policy.

If you are on a site and have to fill in mandatory fields - always check on the sites Data Protection Policies and T&Cs before submitting your details.

If they're kosher - they will declare it. If a site is intending on sharing (no one sells anymore!!!) your details with a "selected third party", it will be fleetingly mentioned in endless legal gobbledegook deliberately written with the purpose of confusing the reader. Persevere and you will find some small print detailing what they are going to do (ie. send you 5 text messages a week @ £3.50 a text).

In the majority of cases, in order to complete registration, you have to click the "I Accept" button, you therefore have agreed to their T&Cs and have to abide by those terms. So, all those random text messages received, will have to be paid for, although you "never" signed up for them.

This is why adware/malware/scumware is not illegal, you have agreed to have your information shared with a third party or to install spyware. It's all there in the T&Cs, disguised/hidden in the pages and pages of text.

I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH, ALWAYS READ THE T&Cs before submitting any of your private details. Don't worry about not understanding all of it, reputable sites will be clear, the disreputable ones won't be, but it will tell you all that you need to know, if you look closely at it.

A good example of a reputable registration process is this one (Martin, don't get a big head...!!!), just an email address and username is required - no other personal info. Now think of other registrations that you may have completed in the past, where you had to fill in every minute detail, including your shoe size to get a freebie.

If there are no T&Cs, No Data Protection Policies, no https in the url, no padlock on your browser window - DO NOT ENTER YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION.

If you do submit it, you have absolutely no idea where your information is going to end up. You will have given all the details regarding your credit card (name, address, number, expiry date), the only item missing is the 3 digit number on the back of your card.
    This is why you get the phonecalls from "Barclays/Mastercard/Egg/Insert your own scam" and why they seem so professional/realistic.
  • MarkyMarkDMarkyMarkD Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is an ancient urban myth/hoax. Ignore it. And don't encourage this sort of tosh by circulating it.

If you ever get any sort of e-mail like this, try putting a phrase of it in quotes into google. Any well-known scam/hoax (like this) will come up 1000s of time as a scam/hoax.
  • MMD - Totally with you on the not circulating "hoax" messages and advice on checking google for info on individual messages, is excellent.

Quite often, telling everyone you know and warning about hoaxes increases internet traffic, which in turn is just as detrimental as the virus that hijacks your address book and sends out a message without your knowledge.

Circulating hoaxes is a waste of time and it causes panic - it would be better to protect your own information and promote how to do so than warning others about individual emails/scams.

That way, for the billion or so scams that are in existance will have no effect on you, friends and family, because you are savvy enough not to fall for them in the first place.
  • jaimeojaimeo Forumite
    94 Posts
    This is a real scam.

Barclays fraud did a telly program on it. Phoning people is an easy way to steal their identity (there is a flash term for it but i forget!).

It is not difficult to find stuff out about people.

How do you get someones phone number?? Please, is anyone under the impression its hard to do?

Jaime
    Err, I'll get back to you about the funny signature
  • When somebody rings up saying: "I am from xxxxxx" - first rule of scepitism is always say: "Yeh - prove it - give me some quality information that makes me even slightly believe you".

If you reach a stalemate with this game, simply say: "Give me your name and a reference number. I will ring the number on my last statement / written correspondence with you. Which department should I ask for?".

I've done this with a financial company and got put through to someone else. But from the reference supplied they managed to bring up and resolve the query using their computerised notes.

If in doubt - don't give them the benefit of the doubt.
    [ Eat, Drink and be Merry - for tomorrow we get the bill ]
  • kevtraderkevtrader Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got an idea. A person could give out the wrong number to the caller to check if it a scam but can another person be hit with the scam?

If I get a call like that I'm tempted to say any 3 numbers and see what happens!
    Waddle you do eh?
  • Rex_MundiRex_Mundi Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    This one has been doing the rounds for at least the last six months. It's an urban myth. Check out the links below, the similarities are striking, the same name and even the same amount of money all be it in dollars.
    http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp
    http://www.jacobsen.no/anders/blog/archives/2004/11/30/visamastercard_scam_warning.html
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_credit_card_fraud.htm
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • elonaelona Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if it is a myth it still serves to remind us all not to take things on trust.

I am still fuming after a magazine company tried to charge for a full year subscriptions instead of for a quarter which is what I had agreed.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • bbrucebbruce Forumite
    369 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Naturally I have learned to be on my guard. So far I've survived several phishing and 090 scams - you wouldn't believe how many prizes I've won (not) without even entering!
    The other day I got a call which was obviously a recorded message purportedly from Egg card asking me to tap in my date of birth on the phone. I deliberately gave the wrong details twice which they said were wrong and then transferred me to a human.
    It turns out the call was genuine as my wife was out shopping in Harrods Sale. I told them they were naive using this method and they said they would note my comments!

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals