Microsoft Money Vs Quicken Vs Others

Options
I am new to this type of software

Basically I want something where I can keep a record of all my accounts and transactions plus my parents accounts

Between us we have accounts in 6 banks with online banking facilities

I read on quicken website that you can use it to access your accounts through it (similar to egg money manager i guess) but I don't really feel comfortable doing this

Could someone offer some advice? Thank you

Also do these allow you to record items such as premium bonds/other assets?

BTW: Not sure if this is the correct section - please move if it is more appropriate elsewhere mods

Comments

• ShelfStacker_3
    Options
    Quicken and MS Money have been discontinued in the UK I'm afraid. Moneydance gets some praise on here, you might like to try that.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whilst you wait for other replies, check out the results of a forum search (top right of your screen) for Microsoft Money Quicken...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/search.html?searchid=41511295
  • Qasim
    Qasim Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Quicken and MS Money have been discontinued in the UK I'm afraid. Moneydance gets some praise on here, you might like to try that.
    Is the US version any use to people in the UK?
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks

I had a look at some of those other threads and saw MoneyDance and GnuCash - which one of these is easier to use? I don't need double-entry bookkeeping and stuff just want to have an overview of how much I have and where it is
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    456789 wrote: »
    just want to have an overview of how much I have and where it is
    I'm still using Microsoft Money 99 and manually enter transactions, rather than downloading. Works fine for me.

You should be able to pick up a copy for next to nothing at computer fairs, small ads in the local paper, ebay etc.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I still have Money 2004. Works fine. I believe 2005 was the last version to be released for the UK.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The last version of MS Money works fine. If you use Vista, then run it as an administrator though.

The US version of Money can work in the UK but it will not integrate with online banking.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    The US version of Money can work in the UK but it will not integrate with online banking.
    you mean logging in and getting the info automatically?

Will it work ok if I just download the files from the online site in money format and import them?
  • BeefyGrowler
    Options
    456789 wrote: »
    you mean logging in and getting the info automatically?

Will it work ok if I just download the files from the online site in money format and import them?

I've been using MS Money Plus with my UK banks and all works fine. You can't sync accounts automatically or pay bills from you desktop but if you download your bank statement in ms money format it will import into MS Money - job done
  • savingforoz
    savingforoz Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    Moneydance is excellent and can be used fine in the UK.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport