just got bad news

Options
Hi,

Any help please.

Beloved hubby 54 yrs old 'have to let you go' speech yesterday, Friday 5pm.

Finances ok. No savings to talk about. No mortgage, no loans (thank God). My wages will cover bills and food (JUST).

He's surfing to find another job.

In 4 weeks (after his notice) if he hasn't got another job he's going to have to sign on. Any tips.

We aint no spring chickens so all you computer wizzards PLEASE help.
I have just registered with Martin so I am totally green to Forums.

I feel alone. I know thousands are losing their jobs daily.

Maybe Martin should have a section on 'What to do mid 50's when the pooh hits the fan and how to survive the next 30 years'

Kind regards,
Sue
:cry: :huh: _pale_

Comments

• anonymousie
    Options
    Couldn't read and run (()).

I'm sure there will be lots of folk around with really good advice.

I notice that you are a newbie on the site, so probably a newbie to really beating expenditure down whilst keeping life enjoyeable. Pop onto all the forums and take in and praxtice lost of the little thibgs that are suggested- they'll add up and cut your costs my a suprising amoount.

Esp look at at the moneysaving old style for tips re eating and household stuff. You can probably shave your shopping spend by quite a bit- if your hubby is home during the day and you are out, he needs to see it as "his job" to get on with cooking from scratch etc

Get writing every spend down and you'll soon see what you can modify.

Low budget life isn't terrible or boring, just a different way of thinking IMHO.

You never know, if he takes over "the home front" and you carry on working, it might be a situation that works longer term anyway.
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Sue.

Do you have a mortgage, or do you rent?
    Do you have any debts?
  • Lynn11
    Lynn11 Posts: 674 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly your husband should sign on and get money - they will eluvate your circumstances and pay something. I was made redundant recently and I am only getting the job seekers amount due to savings and husband working at the moment but this is iffy, but they continue to pay NI contributions whilst you are seeking work. I wrote prospective letters to local companies, looked in local papers, looked on job sites for jobs S! jobs, totaljobs.com, jobcentreplus.co.uk, register with agencies (I think they are a waste of space as they do nothing for me) and also go onto large companies website to see what their job vacancies are (this worked for me as I am awaiting paperwork for my new job to start shortly hopefully) council websites, police websites, scottish water, nhs etc depending on the type of work your husband does. Please keep in mind that it is getting longer to find a job and there are not many jobs out there at really good salaries but no doubt you will find a few at reasonable salary which you can live on. I was looking for 3-4mths before I got my verbal job offer and some people I know are just doing christmas work at the moment to get some money in. Hope this helps in some way and good luck for the future.
    MFIT T2 Challenge - No 46
    Overpayments 2006-2009 = £11985; 2010 = £6170, 2011 = £5570, 2012 = £1290
  • luckys_mum
    Options
    My advice to you would be to make an appointment with your local citizens advice and ask them to explain what benefits you may be entitled to. Take along any paperwork re any other benefits you may be getting at the moment eg DLA. They will be of great help and will even advise you on any forms you may have to fill in.
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    another good jobsite is https://www.monster.co.uk, would disagree with the comment about agencies as i have had my last 3 jobs via that route.

they may be temp work about in the run up to chirstmas.

what kind of thing does you oh do?
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • Ewarwoowar2
    Options
    sueg2008 wrote: »
    Hi,

Any help please.

Beloved hubby 54 yrs old 'have to let you go' speech yesterday, Friday 5pm.

Finances ok. No savings to talk about. No mortgage, no loans (thank God). My wages will cover bills and food (JUST).

He's surfing to find another job.

In 4 weeks (after his notice) if he hasn't got another job he's going to have to sign on. Any tips.

We aint no spring chickens so all you computer wizzards PLEASE help.
    I have just registered with Martin so I am totally green to Forums.

I feel alone. I know thousands are losing their jobs daily.

Maybe Martin should have a section on 'What to do mid 50's when the pooh hits the fan and how to survive the next 30 years'

Kind regards,
    Sue
    :cry: :huh: _pale_

A few questions:

1. How long was your husband's employment with this employer?

2. How many people do the same job as your husband at the company?

3. Did they follow any procedure when they dismissed him e.g writing to him to let him he was at risk of redundancy and inviting him to a meeting to discuss?

4. Are they giving him any statutory or enhanced redundancy payment?
    I am an employment solicitor. However, my views should not be taken to be legal advice. It's difficult to give correct opinion based on the information given by posters.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    What does he do as a job? Is it something he can do self employed? Does he have a hobby he could turn into a business?
    Sometimes if you can't find a job, it's an idea to have a go at creating your own.
  • sueg2008
    sueg2008 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    No mortgage or debts - thank goodness.
    My wage just covers the bills and just about covers necessities.
    Thanks for your interest. I did feel alone. I am surfing all of Martins web and have been to the library to borrow his book.
    I was in shock when I posted. I am now getting some feeling back in my brain. The library was open today - Sunday and the shops. I read the papers for free in the library looking for job vacancies. Walked to shops to avoid car park fees. No coffees today so saved something like £6 in total. Looking forward to loosing a few pounds in weight by christmas!
    Thanks again.
    Sue
  • sueg2008
    sueg2008 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear you were made redundant.
    Yes, as he as worked since he was 16-17 I feel it is time for him to get a little back of all the NI and Paye he has paid. Just until he finds another job.
    It really knocked him for 6.
    I have been surfing the job centre, employment agencies web sites. CV is just being polished up to be emailed/printed and posted off.
    I have QUIETLY gone around turning lights off, sockets off, heating and water down a couple of degrees. I put a couple of small blankets on the back of the settee so we can throw them over us instead of putting the heating/fire on too early. More blankets on the bed too.
    Walked to the shops, no car park fees or coffee out, so i have started to safe money that way.
    I am sorry. I have never really thought about things until the poo hit our particular fan. Thanks for your note as I dont feel so alone.
    SUe
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    Dreadful shock isn't it? My husband was made redundant 3 times in the '80s/very early '90s.He was 60 on the last occasion. I think it is the dreadful blow to proud men that have never been without work that is the hardest bit.

Good luck with the search for work. Does he have a trade?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure