PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Hints and tips for a first viewing.

Options
Good evening,
I'm going to view a house tomorrow. Property looks great and the price is seriously reduced (was £150,000, reduced this week to £105,000- owner needs to sell asap). 150,000 is slightly overpriced, other similar properties are on for around 140. Either way, down to 105,000 is a cracking reduction. (3 bed house, decent area).

Anyway, what I'd like to know is can anyone give me a checklist of things I should look for (or look out for) when on a first viewing? I'm a first time buyer, it's the 3rd property I've looked at, but the first I would seriously consider, assuming it lives up to info as advertised.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• besonders1
    Options
    • Pretend your not interested,
    • Say you have others to look at
    • Ask them why it is so dramatically reduced and how long it has been for sale
    • Bring a printout of other houses selling in the area over the past 8 years https://www.houseprices.co.uk
    • Offer a few days later but only offer 2004 prices or 40% lower
    • If you are unsucessful - well there will be other houses coming soon -good luck!
  • jojo80_2
    jojo80_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for those ideas.
  • scousethife
    Options
    Check the rooms are as big as the blurb says.

Ask if the house has any problem- They HAVE to tell the truth

ASk if any neighbour problesm- they have to be truthfull about this too

Ask what work has been done on it lately (in the last year or so) it will give you an idea of if it has been looked after etc.

Ask why they are moving

If your about to lay 100 grand its okay to be nosey
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. The one where you showed us Dithering Dad is a complete liar. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team
  • mishmash
    mishmash Posts: 371 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    people have asked me;

What is the council tax band?, what are the heating electric costs like? How is the street for parking?

I think these are useful questions, they also ask what I will leave in the house, what the neighbours are like, are there children in the area (for thier little one to play with).

I think it is good to have a number of questions.

Mish
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've not pretended to not like anyone's house...I think its disengenuous...who'd believe you'd pay £100k (or whatever) for something you don't like or were not interested in, or have vaguely warmed to on a second viewing.

That said, although I've gone on to offer I haven't bought a house yet. :)
  • Hatster
    Hatster Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    People asked us
    - what the neighbours were like (mainly their ages and if there were any kids)
    - how much it cost to heat
    - how often / late the buses went
    - whether we'd used up our 'permitted development' for extensions already (not sure this is applicable in the same way any more)
    - where the nearest playground was (family with kids)
    - what the electricity, water, gas, council tax etc bills were

We asked
    - almost nothing! We just wandered round and thought about whether we liked it.
  • mayzie
    mayzie Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    It may be helpful to go to rightmove.Go to the bottom of the page and see guides.Click on it .Then choose RM property guides:getting the most out of a viewing:viewing checklist. I think it best to build up a relationship with them if you like it but there is no need to go overboard!
  • jojo80_2
    jojo80_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    thanks- hadnt thought about council tax question, good point!
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jojo80 wrote: »
    thanks- hadnt thought about council tax question, good point!

It is actually better to look at the VOA website where you can see the band and if there is an i next to it, which indicates that the property will be re-banded when it is sold (for example due to an extension).

If you are interested in the property, make sure that you visit the area at different times of the day, evening, morning, weekend, etc. For example parking may be dreadful in an evening, but fine during the day, or vice-versa if it is near a station and used by commuters.
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I once lived in a house that went with the job.
    There where wooden floors ( not laminated ) downstairs including the kitchen .
    But when you opened the cupboard under the sink there was no floor ,just the foundations .Dont rely on a survey to pick up things like that .
    After that I learnt it pays to be nosey.
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport