PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

selling without agents.

Options
This has probably been asked before so please forgive me. I'll try to make it simple: My house on the market for £225.000 Neighbours house across the road on the market for £125.000 He wants ours we want his. Both up with seperate agents. We have discussed amongst ourselves about taking them both off the market & doing the deal without them. Any pitfalls i should know about? Or is it just a simple process of getting solicitors involved to do the usual bits & bobs. Cheers:confused:

Comments

• unite79
    unite79 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it is, but a word of Warning, how did you know his house was for sale, and how did he know your house was also for sale - If the answer to this is that you saw the sign, saw in paper etc.. Then I think the agent would say they introduced and want a fee..
  • rothwellio
    Options
    I understand what your saying. We both thought this too, our plan was to take both houses off the market and wait a month or two which we could both afford to do. Surely they could not come back at us then could they?? Thanks for the reply unite79 :-)
  • PropertyPro
    Options
    As long as neither of you have contacted the agent about each others house, then they have no claim to any commision.
  • Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    (1) Can your neighbour definitely pay for the hike in cost and have a mortgage or funds available to proceed, as that is £100,000 difference between the 2 properties?

(2) Are you going to do full surveys, as very important despite what matey owners may say ?!

(3) Have you factored in price drops over the coming months, and that one property may lose more value then another if on the wrong side of the road because of it's aspect, what it looks over, size of plot etc?

(4) Think hard about the reasons why you want the lower value property, and why your neighbour is keen for your higher value one?! There may be something you are missing in the value of yours, but they have picked up on?! Future planning potential?!!

(5) I would suggest looking on the Land Registry site before proceeding. I know there are still a lot of properties not on there, but they can provide information if registered, that often doesn't come up until difficulties and disputes arise and costly solicitor fees. Their charges aren't that bad when compared to legal ones believe me!!!

(6) I would advise keep off for a good month or more before proceeding, as EA's are very aware of what is going on, what with all the time on their hands following house sales at present!

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • icebergx
    icebergx Posts: 688 Forumite
    Options
    Apparantly, there was a recent judgement against Foxton (I think). Even the EA simply showning the property does not constitute a right for them to ask for their fee. They have to have played a part in the negotiation of the sale.

Better to be upfront with both EAs I think. Tell them that you're selling to your neighbour through a private sale. and that you wish to withdraw it from the market when the buyer arranges his survey.

They can not claim a fee simply by having a board up.
  • rothwellio
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies. It might seem odd to leave a large house & move across the street to a smaller property but the simple reason for doing this is me,my wife & young daughter want to be able to 'LIVE' . We both work hard for a living as do many others & the house is eating every bit of cash we earn i.e. mortgate,gas,electric,insurances etc,etc. Moving to the smaller property will cut my mortgage by 2/3rds heating and the like will also be cut plus maintaining the property will be a hell of a lot easier. And a holiday once a year would be nice too! Cheers all i'll take on board what you've all said.
  • Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    It makes perfect sense from what you are saying OP to downsize then. Would do the same if struggling and unhappy, so good luck with it.

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • rothwellio
    Options
    :D Thanks Geenie for the reply & the other guys too. Will let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure