PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dubai

Options
Hi all,

Has anyone bought a property off-plan in Dubai? I went for a Studio apartment last year and once I've paid for it my outgoings will have been around £57k. I had a look before everything went t* up and Studio's in Dubai Sports City (where I've bought) were double in value.

Just wondering what the situation is now and if anyone else is in a similar boat. Is it still a good rental market or should I sell?

All replies welcome, although please could it be restricted to those who have had or are in a similar position?

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One heck of a daily commuting fare to the UK though, eh?
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • 2520years
    2520years Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

Has anyone bought a property off-plan in Dubai? I went for a Studio apartment last year and once I've paid for it my outgoings will have been around £57k. I had a look before everything went t* up and Studio's in Dubai Sports City (where I've bought) were double in value.

Just wondering what the situation is now and if anyone else is in a similar boat. Is it still a good rental market or should I sell?

All replies welcome, although please could it be restricted to those who have had or are in a similar position?

I can't pretend to be an expert, but we looked into it about two years ago. We even went over there for a week.

We concluded that the place was expanding too fast. Something like 20% of all the cranes in the world were there so you can imagine how much building work was going on. There was no way enough people would want to move in.

For what it's worth, I'd sell if there's enough money in it. The building work has only just started, so the over-supply will continue for a long time yet.

Hope this helps, if you're just looking for some feedback.
  • gazzerthelanky
    Options
    2520years wrote: »
    I can't pretend to be an expert, but we looked into it about two years ago. We even went over there for a week.

We concluded that the place was expanding too fast. Something like 20% of all the cranes in the world were there so you can imagine how much building work was going on. There was no way enough people would want to move in.

For what it's worth, I'd sell if there's enough money in it. The building work has only just started, so the over-supply will continue for a long time yet.

Hope this helps, if you're just looking for some feedback.

Thanks for responding. I agree with the danger of oversupply but isn't all the development controlled by the king or ruler - meaning surely he'd restrict what actually goes on the market and that the developments in place are to satisfy demand, not exceed. I'm hoping anyway. icon9.gif

As for selling, I'm really considering this but would like a few more responses before making my final decision.
  • dekh
    dekh Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    You might get some "local" answers from one of the expat forums like https://www.expatfocus.com

Don't think there'll be much knowledge of Dubai here. Mind you, have you seen the concept drawings for the Anara Tower? Wow!
    :think:
  • 2520years
    Options
    Thanks for responding. I agree with the danger of oversupply but isn't all the development controlled by the king or ruler - meaning surely he'd restrict what actually goes on the market and that the developments in place are to satisfy demand, not exceed. I'm hoping anyway. icon9.gif

You'd think so wouldn't you...:rolleyes:
  • hearts
    hearts Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    Options

As for selling, I'm really considering this but would like a few more responses before making my final decision.

Yeah like the rulers everywhere else have eh ;-)
  • Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is clearly a case of massive oversupply. Given the outlook for the whole world, why would anyone consider buying now?
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure