PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

2 Years Tax Returns Possibly Not Submitted

Options
My sister's boyfriend is currently filing his tax returns for 07/08 which needs to be done online by Jan 09

He started letting out the property in June 2005. To my knowledge this is the FIRST tax return he has done as he made losses / small profits in 05/06 and 06/07

From reading other posts on a similar topic, it would look like he should have posted returns for these 2 years.

My question(s) are:

1. Can you fill in historical tax returns for the 05/06 & 06/07 years? Would any fine be charged?

2. Or would it be best to just file the tax return for this year and ignore the previous years - what are the chances of them finding out?

Comments

• prudryden
    prudryden Posts: 2,075 Forumite
    Options
    Best to do the returns -
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
  • Kool_Katty
    Options
    Can you do historical returns?
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    He should give the HMR&C a ring. They are actually very helpful.
  • Kool_Katty
    Options
    Wont they think it is fraudlent? Fine? Prison?
  • zappahey
    zappahey Posts: 2,252 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kool_Katty wrote: »

Hardly. If he has made an honest mistake and he is correcting it, then they will be very helpful.
    What goes around - comes around
  • poppysarah
    Options
    They are really mean to people they "catch" but fairly helpful to those who suddenly realise they should have been putting in a return but haven't.
  • Trollfever
    Trollfever Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    Options
    HMR&C and running a business:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/startingup/index.htm
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My sister's boyfriend ...

So that's what made you create an account on MSE to enquire about?
    No, I'm sure he'll remain a free man! ;)

Of course, if he declared a loss in the initial years, he would have been able to carry that loss forward. He might therefore be now due a tax refund :T
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Kool_Katty
    Options
    Would it better for them to go to an accountant and discuss this in a consultation or just contact the HMRC?
  • poppysarah
    Options
    He can go to an accountant and tell them the whole story - and then he can pay the accountant to do the dirty deed of speaking with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure