Best Credit Card for Purchases

in Credit cards
17 replies 3K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving ExpertMoneySaving Expert
8.3K Posts
Forumite
To ask a question or discuss the article (click here to read it) - just reply to this message.

(note this link has been updated to a new article on 21 July 2004, some of the discussion below may relate to the old version)
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• What is the best credit card around?

I am looking for a card that offers a good cash back scheme, or a loyalty scheme.

how does Tesco's card compare to a normal 2% discount card?

I will be paying the balance off every month.

Any suggestions ???
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    If I wanted to "balance transfer" 3 credit cards totalling approx £4.5k (RBS/Mint, Tesco's & MBNA's Homebase) to only 1 (also have Alliance & Leicester with zero balance)with the aim of reducing my minimum monthly payment to the lowest out there, what card is the "cheapest" to go for? I'm thinking of putting it all on A & L's (after transferring Homebase to one of the others). Thanks for all your tips to date, they've been brill'. Rob.
  • I have just recieved my first credit card, a Lloyds Advance card and am very confused after reading the article on 'best card for purchases'! It says:

"For anyone already with a Mint/RBS Advanta card, next best is the Lloyds TSB Asset (do you mean Advance Martin ???). Here new customers get 0% until 1 September 2004. After that its rises to 11.9%, but this card’s then one of a rare breed, spend on it and it’ll charge you interest even if you pay off in full, be very careful." - what does that mean, should I not use it?

Please clarify :-[

Thannks!
    Regards

Mark
  • It depends, if you mean out of the cards you have then we can't say for sure what is in the terms and conditions for your cards, you need to check those for yourself.

Cheapest monthly minimum repayment is MBNA at £5 (not sure if this applies to Homebase too), I think most other cards minimum is a %age of the outstanding balance, usually between 2% and 5%.
    Cheapest interest rate is obviously 0% introductory deals.

Best bet is probably to try and get an MBNA 0% deal and transfer everything on to that. There is a phone number and promotional code in another thread for 9 months int. free with them (and a pair of free watches too).
    177.9K Posts
    Community Admin
    Thanks Mad Mav, any card would do thats 'out there' but I guess you're right in going for a 0% intro offer but I'm getting a bit wary of having too many cards and affecting my o/all credit rating. I'm just looking for 1 "final" card to get all my "debt" on and trying to find the best for min. monthly payment. Cheers.
  • You could always look at transferring everything onto your cheapest existing card and cancel all the rest before applying for your "one final card". It takes some time to cancel a card (up to 90 days) and then it has to get on your credit record - not quick. If cancelling a card make sure you terminate all accounts and ask to be removed from their customer database - some leave you as a customer with no active accounts so if you try to apply as a new customer in the future you cannot.
    177.9K Posts
    Community Admin
    Thanks again Mad Mav. Excellent tip about getting details removed from card databases in case an opportunity arises to be a new customer in the future. Martin had better watch out!!
    177.9K Posts
    Community Admin
    Just been reviewin' some previous threads and note a comment from someone re Alliance & Leicester credit card and that they've "seen the light" following comments from Martin. Can't trace Martin's comments so can someone out there elaborate pleeze. Looking to transfer balances on to my A & L card but might think differently if its gonna cause me grief. Thanking u.
    177.9K Posts
    Community Admin
    Is it worth taking out a cheap loan (6.9%) to pay off a credit card (tesco) and personal loan (9.9%)? or is it worth just finding a lower interest rate on the card?
  • Depends on how much is owed on each and what rate the new card is.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals