How to remove a concrete patio

Options
Well, when i say patio it actually surrounds the whole house. The main reason we want to get rid of it is that we have very, very bad condensation and also the concrete gets as slippery as an ice rink in winter. Plus it's ugly!

Assume no knowledge of these things at all...

What do I need to do/know/etc?

Many, many thanks.
"Finish each day And be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
Forget them as soon as you can."

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    a sledge hammer, a pickaxe, a wheelbarrow.
    a large skip, and plenty of helpers. get some beer in.
    Get some gorm.
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hiring a cango is also possible. I have used one in the past although you will need to be careful near the house and ensure you take rests regularly using it.

As Ormus says, you are best getting mates in to help as it is hard work.

Sounds as though the concrete level is over the damp proof course so removing it will prevent further trouble with damp.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/kango.htm

its unlikely you will need a kango. paths are not very thick usually.
    Get some gorm.
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    Options
    drill holes through concreate with a long ish masonary bit..if its around 6 inches then hammer away if thicker than a foot then get a freind to hammer away for you or hire a kango
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    ormus wrote: »
    http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/kango.htm

its unlikely you will need a kango. paths are not very thick usually.

Hopefully this is the case.

I was unlucky enough to have a concrete path 8in thick to break up in my last house - and it was over 50 ft long. The old boy that had lived there used to work for BR and I think most of the materials, etc had been purloined in some shape or form from their yard! He had also built a shed from old BR office doors! The shed sat on a base that was nearly 10 inches thick!:eek: I didn't bother breaking this up - just built a deck over the top!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Before you begin, try and find out where any drains, water and gas supply pipes and incoming electricity mains cable run...you want to be particularly careful around any of these as damage to them from a misdirected hit from a sledgehammer or kango will be costly to fix (and dangerous in the case of gas and electricity). These services are probably buried deep enough not to be a problem but better to be cautious!

Before you do get the demolition tools out have a think about what your going to put in place of the old paving and try find out how much it's going to cost. No point digging it all up if you can't afford to replace it. We need to replace all our concrete paving around the house too but it'll have to at least wait until the inside of the house is done as i'm not sure our budget will extend to new paving.

Andy
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    If you do think you are up to breaking up the concrete slabs. Small tip, get a long bar, if you can prise up a section, slip something underneath. If the slab is raised at an angle. smashing it into pieces is so much easier.
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As Andrew-b says, PLUS, are you sure the concrete isn't STOPPING any damp/water getting into the house brickwork.

Our house is partly below groundlevel, & our surveyor was verrrry keen for us NOT to disturb the concrete around our walls.

We're actually going to leave some & gravel over this, instead.

VB
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    or if its in resoanable condition and around 200mm below dpc why not flag over it or tarmac or something .the reason i suggest this is £150+ for builders skip 8 yard then labour.there is also a spray on fine gravel for driveways you could use if its only to make it non slip but cant find a link to it at the moment it comes in lots of colours.found a link
    http://pavingexpert.com/resin02.htm
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would invest / borrow a large sledge hammer and break some off the edge to guage the thickness.

If its too much for you to do, i would put a local advert in tesco, asda etc for labourers to clear concrete (cash in hand), some !!!!! will contact you for some weekend work.

Say £50 plus a skip to clear it...

I have a wheel barrow you can have, council left it here when they did the work a bit ago. Now have 2 u see, you can have the old one.

We live in grimsby...

Alias
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family