White shirts gone grey!

Options
Basically, without thinkng, I washed a new pair of black trousers with two white shirts, and some other whites. I'd have never dreamt that I'd be seeing purpley-grey shirts diving around the washer 30 minutes later. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Done the following:
  1. Washed on a 90c with Aerial biological, soda crystals and Oxy.
  2. Soaked overnight with boiling water, Oxy and a decent dash of bleach.
  3. Washed on a 60c wash with Daz and Oxy.
The whites are still a little grey after that attack! :eek::mad:

Just initiated my final desperate attack on the grey whites now: 90c wash with Dylon Power Whitener, dash of bleach, Aerial bio and Oxy.

Am I doing the right thing? Should I do anything else to help?

Next time, I will just wait and wash my trousers on a dark wash! :rolleyes::mad:
Everybody is equal; However some are more equal than others.

Comments

• hamstercheeks_2
    Options
    basmic wrote: »
    Basically, without thinkng, I washed a new pair of black trousers with two white shirts, and some other whites. I'd have never dreamt that I'd be seeing purpley-grey shirts diving around the washer 30 minutes later. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Done the following:
    1. Washed on a 90c with Aerial biological, soda crystals and Oxy.
    2. Soaked overnight with boiling water, Oxy and a decent dash of bleach.
    3. Washed on a 60c wash with Daz and Oxy.
    The whites are still a little grey after that attack! :eek::mad:

Just initiated my final desperate attack on the grey whites now: 90c wash with Dylon Power Whitener, dash of bleach, Aerial bio and Oxy.

Am I doing the right thing? Should I do anything else to help?

Next time, I will just wait and wash my trousers on a dark wash! :rolleyes::mad:

:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG!! steep them in a bucket of cold water with two capfuls of bleach overnight

let me know how u get on
    Time is the best teacher
    Shame it kills all the students
    :p
    *******************************************************************************************
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    been there, done that, a few times,
    Bleach wont do a thing

You can buy a product from the supermarket that will bring them back to white, fraid yu have wasted your time with all you have done.
    Cant remember the name of it but if you ask someone in the shop, it is widely available.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • basmic
    basmic Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    Options
    been there, done that, a few times,
    Bleach wont do a thing

You can buy a product from the supermarket that will bring them back to white, fraid yu have wasted your time with all you have done.
    Cant remember the name of it but if you ask someone in the shop, it is widely available.
    Do you mean a colour run remover? I was told that would do no good, because it's not as strong as the bleach I've used.

Looks like I'm going to have to bin these shirts, depending on how this wash goes. :(
  • McKneff
    Options
    No, i promise you, its not a case of strength, its a case of the chenicals
    it will work, honest, its worth a try for 99p or so rather than chucking good clothes out.

like i say, i have done it countless times (been married 40 years) and it has worked every time.
  • basmic
    Options
    No, i promise you, its not a case of strength, its a case of the chenicals
    it will work, honest, its worth a try for 99p or so rather than chucking good clothes out.

like i say, i have done it countless times (been married 40 years) and it has worked every time.
    Do you think you could find out the name for me, so I at least look like what I'm talking about? I can see it now: "Oh this Annie on the forums said you can buy this stuff for 99p which makes my whites white again." :rotfl:;)
  • McKneff
    Options
    if you ask at any supermarket for Colour Run Remover, (in fact i think that that is the proper name of one of them)they will know exactly what you are talking about, there are quite a few on the market now.

If you dont want to ask, it will be on shelves near the soap powder.
  • Got2change
    Options
    Dylon do a colour refresh product - it can be found near the washing powders/hand wash liquids in Tesco or with dyes etc in homecare type shops such as Wilkinson. They used to only do them for net curtains and undies but now do them for general whites. They might be worth a try as well as the colour run product.

The problem is that subsequent hot washes may have actually sealed the discolour in and also that more bleach has/will have rotted the stitching so be careful........
    icon7.gif
    Blonde: Unemployed: Bankrupt.
    What do I know?
    :confused:
  • basmic
    Options
    Well they've come out of the nice long 90c cottons wash - and, in all honesty, they look a tiny bit brighter, but nothing worth dancing about.

I did wonder if the hot wash would seal the colour in or not - oh well, it was only two shirts and two (nice ;)) pair of boxers that have spoilt.
  • Got2change
    Options
    basmic wrote: »
    Well they've come out of the nice long 90c cottons wash - and, in all honesty, they look a tiny bit brighter, but nothing worth dancing about.

I did wonder if the hot wash would seal the colour in or not - oh well, it was only two shirts and two (nice ;)) pair of boxers that have spoilt.

Lesson learnt then I would say.....
    You must certainly have been havinga blonde moment when you put black trews in with white shirts (silly).
    icon7.gif
    Blonde: Unemployed: Bankrupt.
    What do I know?
    :confused:
  • Maybelline_Eyes
    Options
    I got a box (contains two separate sachets) from my local hardware shop. It cost £2.49 but was well worth it and restored my white linen shirt when bleach didn't work. It's called "Runaway Colour Run Remover" by Dylon Fabric care. (I don't work for Dylon btw:D )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure