PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Deposit Problem - Advice Needed

Options
Hi we signed a lease for 12 months - it was a really run down house we totally redecorated throughout put new kitchen tops in which cost £250 all decorating was paid by ourselves. We put decking down and landscaped the garden all at our expense - the landlord told us to treat it like our own house! However, the neighbours were awful the police were always round and I couldn't take much more my car was vandalised - a boulder was put through the windscreen, so enough was enough, I telephoned the landlord and gave them 3 weeks notice that we were moving out. We have now moved and I have texted and wrote to him formally to request our deposit back £600 put not heard anything - the deposit is in a TDS does anyone know how I can go about getting this back.

Look forward to your replies
:confused:

Comments

• N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Options
    When did you sign the lease, what was the fixed period and when did you leave? If you left in the fixed period then you may well have to say goodbye to the deposit. During the fixed period you can not just leave! That is the point of the fixed period.

Please post the relevent details and we will give you some detailed comments.
  • netinett
    Options
    we signed in the March the contract stated that we could leave at any time as long as we give notice - I couldn't take the neighbours any longer there were gangs outside I did tell the landlord as the house was owned by his Uncle, we gave 3 weeks notice - if we're not entitled to the full amount surely a proportion should be available.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,115 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    How much notice was required? Without reading it, I can only guess, but I would suspect one months notice to end on a rent day, possibly 2 months if you were still in the fixed term.

The landlord isn't responsible for a house owned by someone else.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • netinett
    netinett Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    it was a months notice but with everything we spend on the house surely this should be taken into account and with terrible neighbours and vandilised car doesn't seem fair!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,115 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    netinett wrote: »
    it was a months notice but with everything we spend on the house surely this should be taken into account and with terrible neighbours and vandilised car doesn't seem fair!

Only if the landlord is responsible for the problems!

If your contract says a months notice, with no specification of it ending on a rent day, then I would expect you to have just over a weeks rent taken from the deposit.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • BridgetJones_2
    Options

It was your decision to make the improvements, you knew full well you wouldn't live in the property forever. You should have given a full months notice, if you chose to move out sooner that is again your decision but not one the landlord has to pay for. The neighbours are not the landlords responsibility.

Do not do anything by text. Everything sent by post send on recorded delivery and give him a deadline.
    The only thing worse than smug married couple; lots of smug married couples.
  • netinett
    Options
    Hi thanks for the advice I wrote to him on 4 November and gave him till the 11 November to reply - if I don't hear anything by then, then what???? I'd be happy with just 2 weeks deposit back!
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Go to the Citizens Advice Bureau - they will advise and probably give you a free interview with one of their panel solicitors - it may be just a letter from a solicitor will get you some joy.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ...the deposit is in a TDS does anyone know how I can go about getting this back...

Do you know which of the 3 schemes it's protected under?

If not, just contact all 3 and find out.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TenancyDeposit/DG_066391

Once you know which one, follow the guidence given on the appropraite website on how to get your deposit back.

If the LL fails to respond, the schemes should all have a single claim process.

If the LL does respond and opposes the return, either in full or in part, the schemes have an dispute resolution service. In the event the return of the deposit is only disputed in part, the undisputed portion is usually returned immediately, but check the details of your individual scheme.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure