Heatwise system for storage heaters

Options
None of the comparison sites allows for people with Heatwise meters for storage heaters which have day, afternoon, evening and night units. Non of the call centre operators have any idea what you are talking about and can only understand the straight forward meters. Surely there must be more than one person with storage heaters. Please help....

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    There are loads of 'obscure' tariffs(mainly in Scotland) that have varying periods of 'off-peak' electricty.

These go by a variety of names inherited from the original company for that area.

Apart from the Economy 7 tariff(7 hours cheap electricity betwen the hours of 11:30pm and 08:30am) which is available everywhere, the most common tariff that allows periods of top-up cheap electricity is Economy 10; and I believe that is the same as Heatwise.(not sure of this though)

Economy 10 does not seem to be available from all companies and it is not easy to find out who does cater for that tariff and their costs.
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I agree, I think heatwise = E10.

I'm thinking of giving up on E10. Need to bump up my thread some someone can help me make the decision ;)
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • brysiewysie
    Options
    Yes, Heatwise is usually an E10 product and it's Eon's product. It is viewed as a convenience tariff, not a competitive tariff. If you use the system well it can be very useful, however if you're interested in fixed/capped or more competitive products you'll need to get your meter changed - which you're likely to get charged for.
  • owain.davies
    Options
    I'm afraid E10 is not the same as heatwise.

Heatwise is a 5 rate tariff, with 2 rates for domestic electricty (oven, tv etc.), ususally on a E7 tariff, or this could be E10, and then 3 rates for your electric heating (2 of which are currently the same price and control your normal timeswitched heating, and one of which is the boost)

This set up may have one or two meters, and changing the meter(s) may require internal re-wiring (in around 50% of cases), at your own expense, plus any cost from E.On for changing the meter (and you can't switch, as currently, no other supplier supports this SSC pattern)

I'm afraid the only way you can change is if you choose a meter change (and related rewiring where applicable) to a standard E7, which you can then switch with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure