Electrical - Installation Certificate of Visual Inspection

Options
Hi

Grateful for some advice.

I'm completing on my house on Monday - trying to get an electric supply on is proving a nightmare. Because the house hasn't had a supply on for about 10m months apparently I have to get a certificate as above.

I can't seem to find any electricians that do this, but one firm tells me that he can do a full check 'a periodic check' and it's going to cost me £180 plus VAT. I'm sure this is not what I want - can anyone clarify and give me a rough cost.

Many thanks
Terri

Comments

• illzlee
    illzlee Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    there have been many discussions on here in the past regarding the time taken to do a periodic test. Depends on the what they find generally, but you are talking a minimum of 2 hours labour upto a max of a full day i would have said. So, at £20-25 per hour dependant on where you are/size of the firm this sounds reasonable. Any remedial work will obviously be extra too.
    Personally, i've never come across the requirement from a utilities company so can't help on that front i'm afraid.
    I am a building surveyor and will provide advice based upon what you tell me. It is just that, advice and not instructions. Based on the fact you're getting it for free expect it to be vague! :D
  • adaze
    adaze Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would seem the periodic test is not what you need (see here). I don't actually know what one of these and have had no experience of one so can't really add anything else. It would sound like all they do is an "visual" check, i.e. have a look at whats there. 2 hours would sound reasonable to me.
  • Terrysdelight
    Options
    adaze wrote: »
    It would seem the periodic test is not what you need (see here). I don't actually know what one of these and have had no experience of one so can't really add anything else. It would sound like all they do is an "visual" check, i.e. have a look at whats there. 2 hours would sound reasonable to me.

Thanks - now definitely confirmed not a period check. Someone trying to sell me something I don't need.

All sorted now - £35 and it's as it says - a visual check - electrician is only in the property for about 5 mins and signs a certificate to say the wiring looks in reasonable condition.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure