Need advice chimney breast -log burner

Options
A few questions, we are laying a slab of stone into the chimney breast, this will be like an upside down T, we are having a type of sleeper above the opening.
question one- where do i finish skirts, options are cut out over stone and finish on the front face joiner says there is a way so you end up with your skirting profile on the end of them rather than just a saw end, or do i run them all the way in to the chimney opening, my concern about this is the heat.

Question 2 plasterer has finished plastering apart from the opening, he has angle beaded and plastered on the chiney brest but not in the opening- do i get this plastered as it is just rough render, or he can do a smooth render on the opening-again my concern with plaster is the heat.

Please help

Comments

• Igol
    Igol Posts: 434 Forumite
    Options
    Rules say that they need to be 12" from any combustable material.

However I cut my skirting to fit over the top of the hearth an ran it to the opening of the inglenook. My stove is proud of chimney breast and I can dry damp boots round the back without destroying them, cat likewise emerges from round there uncooked :)
  • debbie42
    debbie42 Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    The end profile is done by a reverse angle mitre. We have that on the back, but not the front, which is more modern and looked too clunky that way. I'll try and take some pics of ours.

The internal cavity/inglenook is rough rendered cement like on ours. I quite like the look.
    Debbie
  • adaze
    adaze Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does the plaster around the opening look neat? If so just leave it, same goes for the render, if it is flatish and will look find painted then leave it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure