Debt collection after 12 years

Options
Hi all

I had a letter from from an investigation company on friday 31-10
I phoned them today, they say they have been trying to get me for some time.
12years to be honest.

In 1995/6 I went to work in Germany but like many never got paid and ended up living of my Visa.
They say I owe £850. I thought it was around £250
They also say that I owe money on a mastercard £1100
The master card is in my name but the address it was registered at is not one that I ever lived at, and I dont remember owing money on a Mastercard.

I think it must be a company that brought the debt years ago and now things are tight, they are going through some old stuff.
But since 1996 Ive had a mortgage, been on the electorial register and got a Visa card and good credit rating.

I never had any letters about this previously

Can these people proceed with this after all these years?

I am of the opinion that if you cant do the crime dont do the time. But why do these things always come up around Xmas or when times are hard?

many thanks

Comments

• NickX
    NickX Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    After six years the debt is known as "Statute Barred" and is legally unenforceable.

Whatever you do, do NOT acknowledge any responsibility for the debt and there is nothing they can do.
  • Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Options
    Quick answer is no they cant. IF they have not contacted you within 6 years of the default it comes under the statute of limitations and is statute barred.

You need to write to them and point out that you have not lived at the address that they have.

Woulldnt be Aktive Capital or Thames Credit by any chance would it??
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • happyfish_2
    Options
    All I know is that the Investigation company is called

Tower Investigations
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business