Mould/Damp problem

Options
I've read through a few threads on here on this issue so it seems I'm not the only one suffering with it!

We get alot of condensation on every window in the house ( as in you often need a sponge to wipe the windows down in a morning ) and as a result we get loads of mould growing round the windows. It's now growing on the ceiling above the windows, on the bathroom ceiling and one of our bedrooms entire skirting board was covered in it.

I've also noticed that all the bags/shoes I have in my cupboard were covered in mould. I took everything out of the cupboard and it didn't seem damp but smells very musty.

I just don't know what to do. My mam suggested putting bowls of salt on the windows and after a night the bowls were full of water with the salt all disolved and the windows still had loads of condensation.

I'm starting to worry whether my health will be affected as surely its not healthy sleeping in a room with mould growing in it :confused:

I just don't know what to do to stop it from happening, I've read that dehumidifiers can help but we just don't have the money to buy one at the moment.
GROCERY CHALLENGE!!
For petrol, food & toiletries for 2 adults and 2 guinea pigs!
October £150/£158.61 :o November £150/£213.52 :eek: December £250/£230.92 January £250/£204.27

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like your condensation is pretty bad. Have you checked whether you have a problem with your roof or exterior walls?
  • Galaxy863
    Options
    latecomer wrote: »
    Sounds like your condensation is pretty bad. Have you checked whether you have a problem with your roof or exterior walls?

We had a leaking roof but this has now been repaired, could this still be causing the problem? It seemed to clear up for a week or so after it was fixed so we thought that had been causing all the condensation but then it started up again.

Does loft insulation have an effect on condensation at all? we were planning on getting some more insulation for the loft as I don't think the insulation we have is enough :confused:

Probably stupid questions but I have no clue about any of this!
    GROCERY CHALLENGE!!
    For petrol, food & toiletries for 2 adults and 2 guinea pigs!
    October £150/£158.61 :o November £150/£213.52 :eek: December £250/£230.92 January £250/£204.27
  • itzmee
    itzmee Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When I read your post I thought 'that sounds just like us!' We get loads of condensation on our bedroom window (but nowhere else in the house) and have mould on the ceiling just above the window and in the corner of the room where the wall was soaking with condensation. In desperation we have just bought a dehumidifier and in just three days the amount of water it has drawn out is amazing. It cost us £100 but I think it's money well spent and I haven't woken up to drippy windows since we started using it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure