New Kitchen Ceiling Needed

Options
Our Victorian terraced kitchen is now stripped of just about everything .... including the ceiling.

If we look up, all we now have are the joists, above which sit the floorboards for the bathroom.

kitchenceiling.jpg

What is the best material for our new kitchen ceiling? (Plasterboard, skim then paint?)

What, if anything, should we put between the bathroom floorboards and the new kitchen ceiling?

Not looking to cut corners... i.e. we will probably get someone in to do it, but looking for advice on what is best.

Comments

• DatabaseError
    Options
    plasterboard is cheap, quick and easy, then skim
    you don't need anything in the void between floors
    Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.
  • toffeegirl
    Options
    Certainly not the dust, rubble and rubbish that came down on our heads. LOL

Many thanks for your quick response....
  • bigdoozer
    Options
    just done ours with 300mm soffit in pvc. 5 mtr x 300mm piece about £10, white, finished and easy to fit. whole job in a day.
  • point3
    point3 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    Options
    bigdoozer wrote: »
    just done ours with 300mm soffit in pvc. 5 mtr x 300mm piece about £10, white, finished and easy to fit. whole job in a day.

Isn't that a fire hazard?
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've recently plasterboarded our kitchen ceiling also. Joints were taped and filled, then boards were painted. No plaster or skim coat needed if you take your time to do a good job on the joins.

We put insulation between the ceiling and the floor above although we avoided the areas below the toilet and the pipework for the sink and bath, in case of leaks. Nothing worse than wet insulation. It would never dry out properly and it smells like fish when wet. :)
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • madjay
    madjay Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    Just taped and filled joint, then paint the board is the best way that why paster board was made....It only TV programmes say skim it because its quicker when you are doing TV make over... now everyone think you have to do it.
  • Mark123_2
    Options
    For what the cost will be (ie not very much in the long scheme of things!) I'd definately skim the plaster board. The whole point is to get a very smooth and even finish. If the finish is rough, ie not skimmed by a really good plasterer, then depending on the light fittings used, will look like a dog!

TV makeover programs say skim plaster boards because that is what you're supposed to do! Plaster takes time to dry out, so a TV makeover program on a fast turnaround would not skim if they were wanting to save time!

I would also insulate between the joists using Rockwool Flexi, at least 50mm and preferably 100mm. It's a newish insulation on the market and is designed to insulate not only thermally, but also for acoustic reasons.

You have a "once only" opportunity to do your ceiling properly, so spend a few pounds more and do it right!
  • Mark123_2
    Options
    As a response to a pevious comment, plaster board was not made so you could paint it without pastering first!

It was made to save drying out time compared to traditional forms of "wet plastering", ie browning / bonding. Skimmed plasterboard has significant advantages over "wet plastering" (especially for DIY projects) in that it only takes a week or two to dry out ready for "sealing" / painting whereas traditional "wet plastering" would take months to dry out properly.
  • madjay
    madjay Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    If thats"what you're supposed to do!"....Why in the building industry are all partition wall and plaster board ceilings are tape and jointed. It because you get a better finish. But we must be doing it wrong and the powers to be in TV Know best.

You do not have to spend more to get it done properly

Some people read books and think they Know it all and others.. we know it because we do it for a living.

a little bit of information is dangerous sometimes......I think I just go and watch TV to see how to do my job properly then.....I THINK NOT!!!!!!!
  • mirabelle
    Options
    Toffeegirl - this is a very easy job to do yourself. We live in a very old house and every ceiling needed replacing. You can buy ceiling props for about £25 which hold up the plasterboard for you while you are fixing them. It stops all the panic and aching arms. We have done all ours ourselves. The props are also good for holding ceiling roses up while being fixed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure