condensation

Options
hiyas, weve got a 3 bed semi and really suffer from condensation on the windows, we have central heating and every morning the windows are quite bad,
does any1 no why they are like this?

i open the windows in the morning to dry them off otherwise they get all mouldy around the seals.. there double glazed

thank you

Comments

• maninthestreet
    Options
    Condensation overnight, especially on the bedroom windows where people have been sleeping is expected, even with double glazing.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • ladydriva
    Options
    its really bad tho. and in just about every room. the room where its worse is the 1 where the radiator is not underneath the window (we bought the house like this)
    our old house was a new build and we never had probs like this
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A dehumifier, having windows on trickle vent, a air brick or having heating on all help to alleviate condensation
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,582 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fit one of these......had one for 20 years now stopped all my problems
    http://www.nuaire.co.uk/Product/Residential_Products/Positive_Input_Ventilation/Drimaster_2000
  • 10past6
    10past6 Posts: 4,962 Forumite
    Options
    We had the same problem as you, I took advice from the experts on here and this is what we did:

Purchased a dehumidifier, leave it on overnight, you'll get used to the noise (we purchased ours from Argos as they had 1/2 price on some)

If possible, purchase some polystyrene wallpaper or some cork tiles (B&Q - Wickes) and place it against the brick wall, this will retain the heat.

I can tell you, we've never had a problem since, and even with the frosty nights we've recently had, not one drop of water on the bedroom windows, I still can't believe how much water it collects overnight.
    Click here for Martins (MSE) advice on who to contact with Debt Issues - YOU HAVE NO REASON TO USE A FEE PAYING DEBT MANAGEMENT COMPANY- THEY CANNOT DO ANYMORE FOR YOU THAN THOSE LISTED IN MY LINK ABOVE.

All information given by myself is offered informally and without prejudice - if in doubt seek help from a qualified and insured professional
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    These threads about condensation seem to be endless.
    I have never had condensation since I got insulated, double glazed, and centrally heated. I hardly knew what a dehumidifier was until I read these forums. What 10past6 is describing is wall insulation, as opposed to cavity insulation, which is what I have got. However, I have never needed the dehumidifier as well. Its a bit of a mystery.
    You have hit the nail on the head when you say that the radiator is not under the window. If it were then the heat would keep the glass at a slightly higher temperature. Then there is less tendency for water to condense on the warmer surface.
    Have you checked the level of insulation in the roof. It should be increased to 250mm, if it not already. The whole comfort and warmth thing hinges round application of heat and the use of insulation to keep it from escaping.
    The drimaster seems to be a good idea.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • louisehj
    louisehj Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I cant offer much help only to say I had the same problem for 3 year, all windows upstairs were wet in a morning if it had been frosty or damp overnight. Literally to the top, it was awful. I had new windows put in this month and not one problem of wet windows. Is it possible your windows are past their best? My old ones were double glazed but 18 yrs old.
    Back on slimming world after my second baby!!
    Lost 2 st 12 lbs after my first!
    Weight loss to date - 1 st
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family