Red hot radiators and stone cold water....

Options
As it says in thread title, my rads are red hot, despite the stat being turned down to minimum, and ch being turned to "off", and i have no hot water.

Ive tried ringing round for a central heating man to have a look, but all are busy, save for one, who is comming round on Monday am.

I have also rung British Gas, who will come out if i join their call out scheme at £28 per month, (12 month contract) if i join, then parts and labour are free, but if i need a new boiler, then thats not covered. I feel like im between a rock and a hard place, because if i need a new boiler, that in itself will be expense enough, without being tied into the 12 month contract for a boiler which will then have a 12 month (poss longer?!) guarantee anyway, if you see what i mean.

I was wondering if anyone may be able to throw any light on what the prob could be, as the boiler is about 13 yrs old (installed when house was built) and if its just a small problem now, then maybe the contract might be a good investment?

Would appreciate any thought you have, thanks,

gp xx
"It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
:)

Comments

• gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thought I would update the thread incase it helps anyone else with a similar problem.

Plumber came out this morning. My boiler is in the garage, and has its own frost thermostat fitted. For some reason, the stat was set at 6 degrees, and as the temperature in the garage was less than this, the heating had automatically kicked in, regardless of settings indoors. Stat was turned down, rads cooled, and hot water kicked back in.

God bless honest tradesmen, he didnt charge me for the callout, but hes got the job of plumbing in the dishwasher :)

xx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    The thought of red hot radiators makes me very jealous :(

Glad its sorted though, oh to have the luxury of gas!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure