Atlantic Backdates Fuel Increase

Options
Thanks to hearing Martin and a caller on Radio 2 yesterday and realising that Atlantic could backdate their energy prices 65 days! I called up and got a result. Realising that they could charge me an extra 30% on gas and 20% for electricity I called them up and told them as I hadn't been given an option at the time that I wouldn't be paying! They said if I provided a meter reading they would introduce the new increase from there onwards. Result!!

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    They aren't allowed to backdate their tariff changes.

All energy suppliers are allowed to alter their prices, and have 13 weeks (actually 65 working days) to inform their customers from the date the increase takes place.

Once informed customers can decide whether or not to accept the increase.

If they decide not to pay the increase and to go elsewhere, then provided they promptly inform their supplier and set the wheels in motion to switch they won't have to pay the new prices on any energy consumed since the new price was applied.

So in these circumstances, the later they tell you the better!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,084 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just had a letter 13 weeks and 2 days after the increase. 66 working days, I've counted.

I can't switch suppliers as I'm tied in to BG til April.:(
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Quentin
    Options
    Did you take into account bank holiday(s)?

If so they have breached the contract, so couldn't expect to hold you to it.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,084 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Did you take into account bank holiday(s)?

If so they have breached the contract, so couldn't expect to hold you to it.

So what does that mean?? Do I just tell BG that their notice is not valid and they give me another notice with a later start date?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Quentin
    Options
    If you want to leave them because of the price increase then tell them (in writing) that they have breached the regulations by their late notification, and that in view of this you would like them to release you without penalty. See what their response is and take it from there,
  • 1carminestocky
    Options
    Don't forget to tell them you cc'd Consumer Focus your communique and you are sure they will interested in seeing their reply. Tends to concentrate their minds a little...
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family