Sneakily get mortgage advice for free

MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
8.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭
This area is to discuss the following article

How to sneakily get the best mortgage advice for free

To ask a question or discuss this, just click reply
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• sw8sw8 Forumite
    2 Posts
    Have you heard of Cartel Marketing Ltd and if so, what do you think of their Mortgage Cost Reduction plan? ???
  • No.

Have you got any more details? their website doesn't seem to explain much...
    I work for a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    ( I have ammeded this signature slightly, as I do not actively provide mortgage advice. However, I support and adhere to the moneysavingexpert mortgage broker code of conduct)
  • sw8sw8 Forumite
    2 Posts
    They are based in Manchester, their mortgage consultants visit you at home across the UK and perform a presentation showing 6 ways to save money on a mortgage, main business is remortgages as there is more to be saved on an existing mortgage.
    A mortgage intermediary that works with a panel of lenders
    https://www.cartelgroupholdings.plc.uk
  • sorry, I meant more details on the "6 ways to save money on a mortgage."

Their fee seems high http://www.cartelgroupholdings.plc.uk/IDD.pdf

Ask them for details of their panel.

As ever shop around a number of providers and do your own research.
    I work for a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    ( I have ammeded this signature slightly, as I do not actively provide mortgage advice. However, I support and adhere to the moneysavingexpert mortgage broker code of conduct)
  • MangleMangle Forumite
    46 Posts
    Anyone have direct experience of Cartel? I have a bloke coming round tonight!
  • MangleMangle Forumite
    46 Posts
    No, they called me. I have already taken a copy of the pdf. I'll have that on the table when matey arrives. Shows I'm not a complete idiot. I am interested in reducing my mortgage (isn't everyone) but I am very careful before committing. The charges do seem high, but if the savings are higher, it can still be of interest.
  • paylesspayless Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to do soem of your own background reading
    go to
    http://www.fsa.gov.uk/consumer/07_MORTGAGES/index.html

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/consumer/pdfs/mortgages_step3.pdf

covers the basics ( including a bit about cold calling)
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • MangleMangle Forumite
    46 Posts
    The "cold calling" thing is not strictly true in my case (probably). I was cold called to take part in a "survey", you know one of those kind of things. At the end of the "survey", I was asked if someone could call me about mortgages. I said yes, so the call from Cartel was not "cold". Me thinks that the survey is a way (loophole) of getting through the "not allowed to cold call" rule. Thanks for the reading links.
  • paylesspayless Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    In my mind if the main reason of the first call was generate a lead for a mortgage adviser, then that is cold calling

( although that may not be the actual regulators ruling- not sure )
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    and phoning under false reason to gain business is also outlawed
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News