PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Insufficient inventory

Options
I moved into a flat a month ago, it's the fourth place that I have rented privately so I'm certainly not new at this, and I have never experienced problems with landlords before.

After moving in, it took nearly 3 weeks to receive the inventory, and after receiving it we felt it was not detailed enough. In particular, it missed out cracks in the walls and woodwork, paint marks on the light switches, and black marks on the carpet. We responded to the landlord 4 days after receiving the inventory (she is managing the property, not the agent) listing out the points we felt should be mentioned, and after nearly 2 weeks she has replied saying that she won't take on board our comments. We have offered for her to come round and inspect the flat with us there but she doesn't seem interested.

We have been warned by the previous tenant that she has claimed against his deposit for damage he says he didn't cause, so what is our next step? I feel like I have just given her a list of things she can charge us for when we leave since they're not in the inventory!

The deposit is with the TDS so we can go down the arbitration route if she does try to unfairly deduct at the end of the tenancy, but I would prefer to have her accept our points about the inventory now. Do we have any legal right to reply to an inventory for example?

She has also proved quite difficult already, she arranged for painters to come to paint the outside of the window frames which has meant us having to keep the windows open, having to leave keys with the painters, and having our weekends disturbed. She has also at first refused to fix one of the appliances that was not working when we moved in (although she has finally done that). We just want to be left in peace, have a good relationship with her, and be good tenants, but we are really worried about protecting our deposit.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• domcastro
    domcastro Posts: 643 Forumite
    Options
    Take digital photos and send them recorded delivery to her. You'll have proof then they were sent at start of tenancy
  • Jess100_2
    Options
    We have taken photos, but now that we've been here a month, can't she just say that we caused the damage since we moved in?

Bear in mind that the previous tenant is having to use the arbitration system, and we have found her to be a bit unreasonable so far.
  • Meatballs
    Meatballs Posts: 587 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Keep a copy of your original letter and inventory and her response. Make sure it is noted that it has taken 3 weeks to receive the inventory in the first place. It would be unreasonable to think that you had put paint marks on the lightswitches and cracks and black marks in the place in such a short space of time, I think a judge would see it that way too?

Should be damning enough along with the photos.

Keep in contact with previous tenant and evidence of the outcome of that as well. Maybe ask the previous tenant to confirm the state and give you a copy of the outgoing inventory or a list of 'damages' they have been asked to pay for - which then certainly cant be your responsibility!
  • neverdespairgirl
    Options
    Take photos, date them, and write a polite letter, which says something like:

We are sorry that you will not amend the inventory to include the damage we notified you of X days after we moved in, and which existed before we signed our tenancy agreement.

In the interests of clarity for all parties, we have taken photos and made a list of all these problems, which we enclose for your reference.

Then send it, recorded, and keep the delivery slip.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • speedtwin
    speedtwin Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    Have you signed the inventory. A unsigned inventory doesnt prove anything.
    Just keep copies of all letters sent to the L/L.
    O
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport