Can I Claim DLA?

Hi

Hoping you can give me some advice.

I was diagnosed with BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) in 2001 and although I denied it for many years following a hospitalisation in April this year I've eventually given in and accepted the diagnosis. I also suffer from severe depression.

On a daily basis I need encouragement from my partner to look after my personal hygiene, cook, clean etc. More significantly though he has to look after me day and night to ensure that I don't do anything recklessly. I'm prone to being impulsive and destructive so I can regularly self harm, OD etc and he's basically responsible for keeping me 'safe' and is in sole charge of my medication.

Also when 'out and about' I'm unable to go by myself as I suffer panic attacks in large areas, regularly break down if I 'loose' the people I'm with. Get confused and forgetful when in strange areas and have a unrealistic notion of abandanmonent.

Although I'm fully aware that a lot of these traits are unrealistic there's nothing I can do to control them. I've been advised this is a 'life long' condition, that I shall have to take at the very minimum anti depressants for the rest of my life. I'm also currently taking mood stabilisers, which are expected to be long term. I see my GP 2 weekly, the psychiatrist 2 monthly and am waiting for CBT.

I've recently joined some support groups for people with BPD who have mentioned that they claim DLA and I wondered if people think with the symptoms discussed that I should make a claim? I do work, will this make a difference?

Thanks
BSC Member 59 - AD 29th March 2008

Comments

• Going by what you say, Red, I would have thought that you would be eligible for some part of the care component, but the only way to find out for sure would be to apply.

The fact that you work shouldn't be taken into consideration - at least, that's what I was told when I first applied for DLA and I was working full time at that point.
    s/e
  • Thanatos
    Thanatos Posts: 882 Forumite
    Hi Red, what somebody_else says about working not being taken into account is not 100% true - its a little bit of a play on words to be honest, but technically its "Earnings" that don't get taken into consideration...

The difference being quiet important in your case.... What the decision maker will be looking at is that you need encouragement to cook, clean and personal hygiene, but you manage to motivate yourself into going to work. The decision maker will what to know why you can do one and not the other, so I would suggest trying to explain that in the claim pack, as it may save a significant amount of time when processing your claim.

If you have never claimed before, I would strongly suggest you do put in a claim as you have nothing to lose. I would recomend explaining that you work, and include what type of work you do and how many hours. I would also fully list any support you get at work and any adptions that have been made to help you in the job. Also, any medical evidence such as letters from hospital/GP.

Good luck with your claim ;)
  • foxxymynx
    foxxymynx Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    yes, you should be.
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    from what the op says you should be entitled to high rate care plus low rate mobility only if you need supervision in unfamiliar places
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    it's hard to say high rate care, i would have thought middle as OP doesn't mention problems at night? You should definately apply though but expect to be knocked back, getting through an appeal appears to be a criteria for the award at the moment.
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    it's hard to say high rate care, i would have thought middle as OP doesn't mention problems at night? You should definately apply though but expect to be knocked back, getting through an appeal appears to be a criteria for the award at the moment.

the op said

On a daily basis I need encouragement from my partner to look after my personal hygiene, cook, clean etc. More significantly though he has to look after me day and night to ensure that I don't do anything recklessly. I'm prone to being impulsive and destructive so I can regularly self harm, OD etc and he's basically responsible for keeping me 'safe' and is in sole charge of my medication.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sorry dyslexic moment.
  • Red1708
    Red1708 Posts: 843 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies.

Sorry I didn't respond over the weekend but I find working really hard going and tend to crash out at weekends so spend a lot of time sleeping. Plus my depression means that I prefer to stay in bed 'out of the way' of life.

Anyways, I shall attempt to make an application.

Thanatos, it's nice to have a 'inside' opinion so thank you for that. In response to you statement below I can say that the reason I go to work is because I can't afford to live otherwise! My landlord does not accept DSS and I have 2 children to consider, there is no way that I would put them into a situation whereby we were left homeless or in bedsit accomodation. Following my stay in a psychiactric ward earlier this year my employers have been very understanding. I have been given a lot of 'breathing space', they have assisted by giving me a very structured timetable and have taken away my access to the internet to assist me in keeping my mind on the job. Although my sickness record this year is appauling as quite frankly there are many mornings where by I just can't face the outside world!
    The difference being quiet important in your case.... What the decision maker will be looking at is that you need encouragement to cook, clean and personal hygiene, but you manage to motivate yourself into going to work. The decision maker will what to know why you can do one and not the other, so I would suggest trying to explain that in the claim pack, as it may save a significant amount of time when processing your claim.

Thanks again for the replies
    BSC Member 59 - AD 29th March 2008

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I have either bipolar or bpd or affective instability, depending which psych I see! I get higher rate care on the grounds that I need supervision day and night to stop me being a danger to myself. I have the problems you mentioned, I don't want to go into the gory details here but I know how you feel.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure