PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How best to fund re-development

Options
Hi All

I have a seen a bungalow which in my view with some modernisation could be a good way to earn some extra bucks!

What I wanted to know is how best to fund the purchase / building works to get this project off the ground. Currently I don’t have a great deal of savings ..could possible stretch to 5% deposit of the asking price. I don’t want to sell my existing home as I intend to put the bungalow up for sale as soon as the modernisation is complete.

I have spoken to buildstore regarding finance and the best they could offer is 65% of purchase and build cost ...meaning I would have to find a partner to raise the short fall in capital. A re-mortgage on my existing home would not give me enough funds.

How about a bridging loan? what’s peoples view on these?

Any advise greatly received

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is why most people have not developed property before - nobody had the money before the last few crazy years of over-lending.

Keep your money in your pocket. Forget it. You'd be over-indebted in a market in freefall and you've obviously not done one of these before or you'd not be asking the question, which means you'd have teething troubles getting it turned round in time and on budget most likely.

In this market if you don't have the cash to do the work then you're risking everything on a gamble.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure