PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Best Budget Cookbook?

Options
As above really! :D

I'm moving into my first home with my fiance at the weekend and we're looking for cheap ways to feed ourselves!

I was looking online and there's loads of cooking on a budget cookbooks, I was just wondering whether there are any you guys would recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Sarah x
Mortgage when started (Dec 2013): £157,272.50
Current mortgage (date): £156,885.56
Mortgage free day: Dec 2043

Comments

• Scarlett25
    Options
    I like the Student Cookbooks...they're targeted at University students so they give good, economical and tasty recipes for low cost! You can buy them from Amazon, W H Smith, ebay etc......there are lots to choose from, I bought The Vegetarian Student Cookbook only the other day!
  • mouseymousey99
    Options
    Why not go to your library? That way you can 'road test' a few and if you get on well with one have a look at amazon or e bay?? I liked 'Tha Paupers Cookbook' Jocassta Innes.
  • eilidh_s
    eilidh_s Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    See if your local highschool has a cook book for home economics and try and get a copy. When I baame a student mine was a god send!! I am proud to say I was a student for four years and never resorted to pot noodles!!
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    You could do without a cookbook completely if you are prepared to spend a bit of time on here. There are recipe collections and whole threads about how to manage on a tight food budget, including meal plans. I used to think I did pretty well but I've learned loads from the threads on Old Style and now eat very well for lots less than I used to spend.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    If you do a search on this board you should find several threads about budget cookbooks;) Maybe a board guide will hunt them down for you.

These are some of my favourite money-saving cookbooks;

The Pauper's Cookbook by Jocasta Innes
    The More With Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre (an American book so unlikely to be available in libraries here)
    Feed Your Family For £5 a Day by Bernadine Lawrence -the author sometimes posts on this board.
    Frugal Food by Delia Smith -just been reissued with colour photos but the old papaerbacks are still around.
  • Mrs_Thrify
    Mrs_Thrify Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How about Deila online?
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
    Spring begins on 21st March.
  • foreversomeday
    Options
    Second the recommendation for The Vegetarian Student Cook Book. I have got The Really Useful Ultimate Student Cook Book which contains all the recipes from the first one and some for meat eaters too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Really-Useful-Ultimate-Student-Cookbook/dp/174196024X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225447937&sr=8-1
    I don't believe and I never did that two wrongs make a right
  • thriftychick
    Options
    I agree with thriftylady, Feed your family for £5 a day by Bernadine Lawrence. It's my favourite; without this book we wouldn't have saved the deposit for our first house 15 years ago (my copy is one with £4 a day on!). I still use it regularly now, its really inspirational.
    Just when I'm about to make ends meet, somebody moves the ends
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thriftychick, are you my younger, hipper sister?:D

Another recommendation are the wartime recipe books by Marguerite Patten. The recipes are a bit on the bland side but very cheap;) (the link is for 3 paperbacks in a slip cover).
  • Scarlett25
    Options
    Another book I like is Bubble and Squeak: The Leftover Cook Book by Jan Arkless. It gives yummy recipes for using up odds and ends of food that are left in the fridge etc. There are also threads on here for leftovers recipes too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure