Repeat prescription

Options

Comments

• Limana68
    Limana68 Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    My mum has just started to get these blister packs for all her meds as she is elderley and getting forgetful. The chemist do the packs weekly for her and the tablets are labelled up and all her tablets are seperated into the correct times she needs to take them etc. I just collect the next weeks pack on the friday before. She dosnt even have to keep re ordering as the chemist does it for her as long its a repeat prescription. Brilliant idea!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For those whose doctors won't take repeat prescriptions over the phone (ours won't as they've had too many mistakes) see if they will let you fax the prescription or order on line. A lot of home printers now have a fax facility included, and it means one less trip out of the house. Our GP has just started on line ordering, but I've not tested the system out yet.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I've asked about online/email ordering and been told no. When the chemist faxed my repeat b side through the surgery lost it, so I'm not sure that would work either!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone know if these blister pack things can be custom labelled? eg if your meds aren't as simple as morning, lunch, tea and bed, but there's one to be taken 'before main meal of the day'?

I'm wondering if these would help FIL, who is starting to become confused, although another problem is that he can't be told anything if he's decided he's right, so he might start disagreeing with the blister packs ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Shomac
    Shomac Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    In my town, there are three women with the same name. You have no idea, the amount of times, ive collected my prescription, gone home and realised that i have someone else's drugs.

Then there is the rigmarole to go through to get your own medication sorted out.

The worst part is, that i never get an apology. So now, when i put the prescription in, i put my address on it & when i uplift at the chemist, i check to make sure that the drugs are mine.
  • blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    Options
    In my area my doctor will only prescribe on months repeat prescription at a time which can be a right pain in the bum
  • somebody_else
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    For those whose doctors won't take repeat prescriptions over the phone (ours won't as they've had too many mistakes) see if they will let you fax the prescription or order on line. A lot of home printers now have a fax facility included, and it means one less trip out of the house. Our GP has just started on line ordering, but I've not tested the system out yet.

Thank you elsien. Your post prompted me to check the website for my practice and it looks like they've just started a new on-line service for repeat prescriptions. ;)

Brilliant, it means I'll no longer have to drag myself out of the house twice in the same week if this works.

<aside>I just hope it's a bit more reliable than the pharmacy's collection service.</aside>
    s/e
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Shomac wrote: »
    In my town, there are three women with the same name. You have no idea, the amount of times, ive collected my prescription, gone home and realised that i have someone else's drugs.

Then there is the rigmarole to go through to get your own medication sorted out.

The worst part is, that i never get an apology. So now, when i put the prescription in, i put my address on it & when i uplift at the chemist, i check to make sure that the drugs are mine.

That's strange as both the pharmacy in my Dr's surgery and boots where my husband puts in his repeats they always ask you to confirm the first line of the address when collecting a prescription.

My husband is on long-term medication. He takes his in to boots they send they back to the dr's to be checked and then he collects then 2 days later from boots.

Save mucking around going to the Dr's surgery.

Seems weird to me that most other places don't do that.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • jmt
    jmt Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all,

I have a condition that requires requires regular medication and have been prescribed this by the consultant at hospital.

For the 1st presciption (28 days) I just paid £7.10 at the hospital dispensary and took them home.

As with most things now, as soon as I get something new, I research it on the internet and my new drug is available on-line to buy for £1.59 plus p&p but as it is a prescription only medicine they will not suplply until I have sent them my NHS prescription.

Problem - I rang my doctors yesterday and asked for a repeat and told them I wanted the paper prescription (and explained why) and not the medication as my doctor has a rural practice and dispenses. When I went to collect they told me that I was not entitled to a NHS prescription and that they needed to charge me for a private prescption. I left empty handed and returned home to look at the internet.

The BMA website say's
    Can my doctor supply me with drugs directly rather than going to a pharmacist?
    The supply of drugs in the NHS is highly regulated. NHS prescriptions must be dispensed at pharmacies except where a doctor has been granted permission to be a dispensing doctor. This is likely to happen when there are few, if any, pharmacies in a rural or semi-rural area. The area is then known as a ‘Controlled Area’ and a dispensing doctor is allowed to supply drugs to named patients who live more than one mile by road from a pharmacy. Many dispensing doctors can only dispense to some of their patients depending on the position of a pharmacy. All patients have the right to take their prescription to a pharmacy of their choice if they wish to do so.

But is this still valid if I am not going to pay the £7.10 charge?

I really dislike my doctors and they take advantge of their dispensing status as I have found out to my cost in the past - I have suffered from a lack of iron and my doctors prescribed Pregaday. I paid £6 per month for nearly a year before someone told me that you could buy this over the counter for less than £1 for 28 day supply, so this time I want to know what my rights are.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think they may well be right that, if you are going to buy privately, you should be given a private prescription.

But, if you have regular medication, have you looked at Prepayment Certificates (£27.85 for three months, £102.50 for 12 months)? Then any additional prescriptions would be completely free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure