2nd home insurance claim in a year?

Options
Hi, some advice needed ..

I claimed for a paint spill whilst i was pregnant beginning of this year and they paid out for a new settee and carpet.
This was with HSBC and they were great.

Only problem is that last night my husband and son threw the Wii remote at the tv and it has cracked the tv screen. The tv is 7 years old , it was top of the range and cost about 2000 back then. Thing is i need to claim as it will cost more than the excess to get it fixed or replaced but i dont want to appear like one of these people who break things to get new ones .. insurance fraud!
Another problem is a few month back my son had been messing with the tv and it wouldnt work so i called the insurance to ask what to do they said see if it can be fixed as it may be less than the excess, well turns out the sky scart lead had come out so i called for no reason. \i just think cos i mentioned the tv then they will think its been done on purpse and i would never and havenever done anything like that.

I have got extra accidental cover and it says new for old but since the tv is 7 years old and quite big, no one really has them now, will they just send me exactly same tv if they paid out??

Very confused as to whether to claim, i dont want to seem greedy and claim twice in a year

Comments

• Englishbloke
    Options
    Beware, my insurance company said something about if you have three or more claims in a year they won't cover you (and neither will many others). That means you only get one more chance and if your house gets robbed (hope not!) then you will need to claim. Just something to check out.

My experience with home insurance is that unless it is a BIG claim (half your contents get knicked) it probably isn't worth making a claim (higher premiums, refused cover etc.)

Good luck!
  • morgan8080_2
    Options
    Yes thats probably right, only problem is i dont have the money to replace the tv as we only have one in house and its pretty much unwatcable now!
  • tinkerbell84
    Options
    Tell them to follow the recommendation that the wii gives (every time it's switched on) to put the safety cord around their wrists when playing ;)
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Options
    All I would say is given the details you have provided then this claim will most likely be looked at very closely, for example if the tv is examined and found to be unservicable because of faults other than the screen you would have some serious explaining to do, just because the screen is damaged doesn't mean the circuitry cannot be tested to be determined if the tv was in working order prior to the damage to the screen. If everything is as you say then you should have nothing to fear, you have accidental damage cover for exactly this kind of unforseen event.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • imfedup
    imfedup Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya

It is higley likely that your Insurance Company will look very closely at this claim, given the costs involved, previous claim history and the fact that you rang them about the tv a couple of months ago.

As Ben has said, if you have nothig to hide then you should make the claim and go from there. They may send someone out to look at the tv and also take a statement of how it occurred.

If you do proceed with the claim then you should be really careful in the future as 2 claims within 12 months will make your premiums go up and chances are that if you ring round for a quote next time most Insurance Companies may impose a larger excess or not insure you at all.

I dont know anything about tvs and this may sound daft, but can you not get a tv service repair company to just fix the screen, this may be a cheaper option than your excess and higher premiums.
  • morgan8080_2
    Options
    i am going to see the man from the tv shop down the road see about the screen.
    I dont mind if they looked closely into it as the tv works perfectly before and we have never had a problem with it.
    As for the wrist strap, they had it on, the strap has come apart !
    Its what to do for the best isnt it, i dont want to appear fraudulant but then again i have nothing to hide . I dont want the premium to go up to where i cant afford it but then again i cant affrd to buy a new tv??
    Very confusing but thank you so much for your advice.

Does anyone know what they would do in regard a new tv? would it be the same one we have? i am not really bothered what we get but would like something that has the same sort of things on it but i dont think they make it anymore, its a Philips 37inch matchline not sure of any more details. Dont have receipt but can get it from miller brothers where we got tv from as we paid on finance for 2 years at the time.
  • imfedup
    Options
    They will replace the tv on a like for like basis, if they cannot get exactly the same tv then they will go for the nearest one
  • morgan8080_2
    Options
    does that mean it will be a flat screen one as they dont make the bigger ones now? not sure i want one of those i just want same tv?
  • tinkerbell84
    tinkerbell84 Posts: 5,323 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt they'll be able to get the same TV now!
  • imfedup
    Options
    If they cant get the same TV then they will go for the nearest match.

If the claim is agreed then usually Insurers will not send you a cheque anymore as most Insurance Companies have ties with people like Currys, Argos etc and usually find the nearest match to the TV you had before and get you to order it.

Have you rang your Insurance Company to make the claim?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure