We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.
Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
am i obliged to sell?
Now if someone comes in with a offer, am i obliged to take this offer? or can i just refuse, if i cant find another house to buy has other people havent dropped their prices for me to move up the ladder.
im thinking of lowering down to what the prices were in 2004 and seeing what the interest is like from buyers.
can i do this and then refuse to sell?
confused
Comments
-
Yes you can refuse. The potential buyer is the one trying to make the deal. they make an offer which you then consider. You've advertised that your house is for sale but you don't have to sell it and you don't have to accept any offers you don't like.0
-
I think i may do it tomorrow and see what happens like you say you havnt got to accept the offer, so what have i got to loose, ill propbably drop it 20,000 pound and still get no viewers.:rolleyes:
confusedI am not a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as not being a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
I think the trouble here is that you would just end up wasting everybody's time (including your own), because your mind set is in the wrong place.
If you drop the price, get the viewers, get an offer, you might then start convincing yourself it's worth more and all you have to do is "wait for the right buyer", who you think is miraculously just around the corner.
I'd drop the price and once I had a buyer I'd be grateful and see that through, even if I didn't find a house I liked "in time". House prices will be continuing to fall and more and more properties will come onto the market.
Why limit yourself to only buying houses that are for sale in one 2 month period of time, when you could take your time and choose from all those that come onto the market in the next 1-2 years?0 -
The thing is i havent even looked at houses yet and my house as been up for sale for nearly a year.
The reason we didnt look was we thought it would be pointless if we hadnt sold ours, so today i have informed the estate agent to lower the the price of our house to what next door sold in 2004.
Now if we got a offer, we could start looking, i know im not going to get more for my house, thats why im taking this gamble, that if i do get a offer i will look and make a offer in relation to the one ive had and hopefully a seller will accept it.
Id be willing to sell mine and move into rented accomadation for a year, but i was hoping to transfer my mortage over, which i will incur extra charges, plus we have just had our third child and i dont think the missus wants to be hanging on waiting to move.
i will just see what happens, ive lowered the price, but i still might not get any interest, then i will just have to lower agin or stay where i am.
confusedI am not a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as not being a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
I think you should tell your Estate Agent what you are thinking. I would agree that you would not be forced to sell if an offer came in. However, your agent is going to ask you to pay his bill for marketing your property if he finds a buyer willing and able to pay your CURRENT asking price.
If you get an offer at the full (albeit revised) asking price and you choose not to accept you may be presented with a bill for the selling fees.0 -
Good luck anyway confused
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.2K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.8K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards