PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Ready grated vs block Cheddar

I have always avoided buying ready grated Cheddar as an unnecessarily expensive food for them as is too lazy to grate BUT at Tesco now ready grated value Cheddar is £3.96 per kilo and block value Cheddar £5.13 per kilo.

Comments

• MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I looked at that ready grated stuff, but i'm sure when I read it properly it said "Cheese Substitute" or something like that...

I could be wrong, but if you have some maybe you could tell us.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    My target price for mature cheddar is £5 a kilo so I might be tempted by the ready grated if it's mature or strong cheddar. Probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out because I only ever look at grated mozzarella. But ... still not sure. Wonder why they're charging less for a product with more packaging and processing.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Have just looked at website and am pretty sure it'll only be mild cheddar - the sort where you add it to a cheese sauce and need to add some more, and then some more and then ...

I'd rather pay my £5kg and have a couple of blocks of the Seriously Strong that's on offer.
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i get the ready grated mature and i think i worked it out to be on a par with the blocks if not a little cheaper
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • Auzelia
    Auzelia Posts: 806 Forumite
    I have the value grated cheddar in my fridge.
    just checked it there and its Medium strength 250g bag.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    once the ready grated has been open it dries out quite quicky . i would rather have the block of cheese and grate/slice as needed and then wrap up again - it will last much longer - but then i dont use a lot of cheese
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • You can actually freeze grated cheese. I buy loads when its on offer, grate it all up and then freeze it. You can use it frozen straight from the freezer! If putting it into sarnies it defrosts really quickly!!
    MFW 2011 challenge - Aim: Overpay £414.26 a month/£5,000 a year. Overpayment Total to date: £414.26:jMortgage start 28/9/07 £46,217.00 :TMortgage balance as of 25/05/11 £24,490.58 :T
    Interest saved as of 25/05/11: £2,849.84 Projected term reduction as of 25/05/11: 9 years 11 months
  • I prefer buying ready grated stuff, I know it's lazy, but I tend to just use exactly what I need with pre-grated, but race through blocks of cheese. I didn't know grated cheese could be frozen, though, I'll definitely be using that tip!
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I buy the ready grated too sometimes & I only buy grated mozzarella, as I find the other stuff (the ball) difficult to cut to spread through whatever I'm doing with it.
    But I make sure I don't get the substitute stuff.
  • I froze some grated mozzarella for the first time recently to stop it drying out as someone mentioned above. Got it out for a cheese sauce and it was a big lump that looked unusable. However I left it on the side in not very warm kitchen and it started to defrost really quickly. So I got brave and dumped the lump of cheese into my sauce. Was great - broke down quickly, just had to work it a bit with a spoon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure