insulation for ground floor

Options
Hello all,

i (currently) have a ground floor that is carpeted underneath the carpet is underlay. Beneath the underlay are some horrid 1960's vinyl (i think its vinyl) floor tiles lying directly on top of the concrete that makes the base of my house.

Is it worth taking up the carpet and underlay and putting down a layer of insulation or reflective foil etc? i understand that it will raise the lvl of my floor but im looking into options

Ideally i will be moving to underfloor heating and laminate flooring when money permits and as i understand the more insulation the better with underfloor heating.

but before i do that is it worth while insulating the concrete floor if so can anyone recommend any produducts

what id love to do is build my own house that would be very warm :)
The orginal post in this thread has a very very slim chance of being about money saving. The post is more than likely to ask a question that google could answer better than any of us.

Comments

• economiser
    Options
    To use conventional insulation would raise the floor to much I think. The reflective foil type insulation maybe worth a try but I don't know how long it would take to get your money back. Fitting underfloor heating into an existing concrete floor sounds quite a challenge to me. It would involve taking up the concrete floor and putting insulation under the heating pipes which would very expensive. Unless you are thinking of electric underfloor heating of course but I think that would only be economic for small spaces such as bathrooms.
  • pugmanic
    pugmanic Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    I would have thought that insulating your ceiling will make a larger difference. You won't be loosing much heat through the floor, though without proper insulation you will be heating the flat up stairs (heat rises :) ).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure