Check your British Gas Bill

Options
gmc_3
gmc_3 Posts: 262 Forumite
Just had the latest gas bill through from British Gas and they are being very sneaky (what do you expect!)

Overall we used about 3 units a day for the time period of the bill. There was a price rise in July so the bill was split over two time periods. Instead of charging the 3 units per day over the two periods, we were charged for 2 units a day for the first, cheaper part. Then about 3.25 units a day at the higher price.

So, if you have had a bill recently double check it.

G

Comments

• KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ('ere we go again)

Utility companies, by order, have to seasonally adjust such calculations that span a price change to accurately reflect typical usage based on seasonal temperature etc. As this happened end of summer/ beginning of autumn less was assigned to the pre-increase price.

Would you be happy if the price change was in spring and they charged you some of your jan/feb usage at the higher mar/apr prices?

If, by any chance, you do happen to have a linear usage feel free to contact British Gas to ask them to make an exception to accommodate your peculiarity. But for most users, this seasonal adjustment is fairer.

And, of course, if you have received the bill within the last ten days, you can always switch to another company and receive the pre-increase prices until you switch - it seems like you are one of the lucky ones who may receive more than five months at the old price.
  • gmc_3
    gmc_3 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    The bill is up to the 16th of October. We've been charged the higher rate from the end of July, which I wouldn't consider autumn.

British gas are sending out a revised bill so i'm saving a few quid (the whole point of this site)
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could have saved a hell of a lot more than a few quid (the whole point of this site) by switching. (Five months without a 35% increase!) Better luck next time.
  • Totality
    Totality Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    Just had my new bill. The gas was ok (well other than the price and them asking for a ridiculously high amount going forward) but on the electric they'd left me on the old Click 5 tariff even though I'd switched to the 2011 one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure