Engagement Ring Advice

Options
Hi all,

I am looking for engagement ring for my OH and just after some advice.

I know what style I'm after (sapphire in white gold setting with small diamond either side of the sapphire) and have seen a couple of options in high street jewellers - one is circa £800, the other is circa £650.

As a jewellery novice I have two questions really:

1) Are there any technical details that I need to find out to ensure I am comparing like with like when I decide what I'm going to buy, and what should I be looking out for?

2) Any ideas on the most economical way to source the type of ring I have described?

Objective here is not to minimise cost at the expense of quality, but to make sure I get the most for my money!! Top budget is probably around £800ish so any ideas are welcome!

Comments

• Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Options
    There are nice ones on the Jewlery channel all the time i love watching it at the weekend.

here is the website http://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/

I dont really have any advice sorry :)

HTH

Steph xx
  • *starla*
    *starla* Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    I would suggest trying a local jeweller. My wedding ring is being made to fit with my engagement ring, a small local jeweller are doing it for £90 compared to a quote of £300 from H Samuuel, and the service is much better, they really know what they're talking about.

Where in the country are you? Someone on here might be able to recommend somewhere in your area.
  • Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds identical to mine except we paid £30 8 years ago in a pawn shop. The setting is white gold, but the ring is 18 carat yellow gold. I recently had it resized and cleaned and the lady in the shop was gobsmacked when I told her how much it cost.

Try having a look at second hand jewellrey, you might just be able to grab a bargain like we did!
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
  • 1399steve
    1399steve Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all advice so far. I'm in Manchester so any local recommendations would be good! Don't think I've described the ring I'm after properly - the whole ring will be white gold.
  • stumpjumper
    Options
    try Stuart Sivvery in Bury.

He made my Engagement ring and later mine and DH's wedding rings.

Sivverys Jewellers

23a, Bolton St, Bury, Lancashire BL9 0EY
    Tel: 0161 761 2492
    2009 wins: Signed Saxon CD, Solar Torch, Drumsticks, Priest Feast Tix, Watch, Hammerfest tix :beer:
  • mnc
    mnc Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    My fiance ordered my ring from diamondgeezer which is an online website. It basically allows you to create the ring u want and even pick the diamond etc and style of band. It worked out much cheaper than any jewellers and I got the ring of my dreams! They have sections which also explain what to consider when choosing different stones and settings etc. The ring was ordered over the phone and the people were very knowledgeable and kept us informed by email every step of the way.
  • Milford_Cubicle
    Options
    Try an internet search, amazon have loads and loads of rings, also ebay.
    I eventually found the exact ring I wanted quite by chance, we were in Meadowhall in Sheffield and there it was, in a small independent jeweller. I'd been hunting for absolutely ages and it kind of found us. I had very specific requirements (white gold, stones flush to the band, small diamonds either side of the main stone, which had to be blue or purple).

Here's mine:

ringring.jpg

Try to stop looking so intensely. I find that if I want something, it'll find me :)
  • fellap
    fellap Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Steve
    I'm also looking to buy an engagement ring and am in the Manchester area. I've been to Harrington & Hallworth for some advice on the old 4 c's but Im tempted to buy from Samara James (www.samarajames.com) However I'm a bit worried about buying an engagement ring over the net - anyone experience using this site?

They appear very resonable?
  • owtfornowt_2
    Options
    1) Are there any technical details that I need to find out to ensure I am comparing like with like when I decide what I'm going to buy, and what should I be looking out for?

Got engaged in the last month but have been looking for a ring since the beginning of the year so we were in the same boat as you are in now! You will need to compare the Cut, Clarity & Colour (known as the 3 c's) in order for you to compare the 2 rings that you have found.

We found that Beaverbrooks gave an honest talk (still didn't ring from them - too expensive) and that they discussed in great detail the 3 C's. I think they go into detail about them all on their website. Or just google it.

OH spent hours on net & found a company in London that bet every one else on price & gave a better quality of diamond from conflict free source, also gave 30 full £ back refund if you weren't happy or got knocked back! The company is 'purely diamonds' & they are highly recommendable.

Hope this helps.
  • 1399steve
    1399steve Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to all for your responses.....

Well I've narrowed things down to two rings and cannot decide which to go for so any comments would be useful. The budget has gone up too to circa £1000!!

Ring 1
    From high street jeweller, white gold ring with sapphire and a smaller diamond either side. Sapphire = 0.7ct, total diamonds =0.22ct. Sapphire is square cut as pointed out by OH. £50 cheaper than ring 2 with 0% finance option.

Ring 2
    From independent jeweller. Style as above but 0.75ct Sapphire and 0.3ct total diamonds. Sapphire not square cut but nice and stones seem significantly 'sparklier' (technical term) than ring 1. No 0% finance.

I'm leaning towards ring 2 but am unsure as to the shape of the sapphire, due to previous pointing out of square one by OH.

Also the high street store said that all their rings come with a certificate to say exactly what is in the ring and I do not know if the independent jeweller provides this. I will find out if they do but is it important?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure